Switch and cable confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change my outdoor light. Removing the old switched (indoor) light I discovered two core and earth cables coming out of the wall with one brown and blue capped and not connected.
wallwiresmall.jpg

But on inspection the live is on one cable and return (neutral) on the second cable!

Going back to the indoor switch, which separately turns on the outdoor light and the internal overhead lights, its top row is a used L1 (live Black wire) unused L3, used L2 (Brown); the bottom tier are (left to right) L3 Grey (Brown sleeve, not live), L2 Brown (Live) bridged to L1.
swithsmall.jpg

I do not understand this wiring and wish, if possible to remove one of the two cables going outdoors.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, understand the switch terminals.
They are not top tier and bottom tier but two triangles with one inverted.

...L1.........L3..L2

L3..L2.........L1...

As the colours at the switches are completely different than at the light, it is impossible to be certain what has been done in between.
If you want to remove one of the cables then, obviously, you will have to find the other ends of them.

I assume from the switch wiring that there is also another switch which operates the interior light.
Pictures of both switches so that we can see all the terminals and any wires in the back boxes might help but junction boxes somewhere else seems likely.

Thanks. Well that basis, from the left, L1, L3 and L2 are the switch for the indoor utility light; unused L3, L2 and bridged L2+L1 are for the outdoor light. (The Red tape is for my benefit to indicate Live wires.) smallswitch.jpg IMG_20200217_155253423.jpg

Forgot to mention, first switch (left) outside light, second inside.

Sponsored Links
The crimped wires are both dead under all switch options (checked).

I would imagine the outdoor light is waterproof anyway so if they are inside of it with the other cables there's no need for 'insulating' tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back