Changing my Intermediate Light Switch in bathroom

D

Deleted member 309861

Hi there, I'm trying to replace the pull switch in the bathroom as the mechanism for pulling it is broken and can't be fixed. I bought a new 16A double pole pull switch with neon. The old wiring is made of 4 Terminals marked L1, L2, L3 & L4. I hove 5 brown sleeved wires and 1 blue sleeved. 3 brown sleeved wires are put together into L2, one single brown sleeved put into L1 & one in L3 and the blue sleeved is in L4. The new switch has in and out terminals but not numbered with the L's. Is this the right switch and where do the old wires go in the new switch? Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4364.jpeg
    IMG_4364.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4365.jpeg
    IMG_4365.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4366.jpeg
    IMG_4366.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4374.jpeg
    IMG_4374.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
Your new switch is a double pole ,and the wrong type.Not a suitable replacement.

Thank you Terry, so I tried looking online but if I put in intermediate switch it always redirects me to the double pole switches. Any suggestion where to get the right switch/ what the exact name for this kind of switch is?

Do you have more switches ( other than the pull cord ) that can be used to turn on/ off the bathroom light ? An intermediate switch would only usually be used when there are 3 or more switches operating a light fitting.
Does your pull cord switch also operate an extractor fan as well as the light fitting ?

Sponsored Links
I'm confused.

Are there two other switches operating the same light?
Why would anyone want an intermediate switch in the bathroom?

Are there any intermediate pull switches?

Then that raises the question: How is it wired?

The Pull cord is the only one switch that turns on the main bathroom lights. We have a mirror light which has its own switch though. Yes we have also an extractor fan but it hasn't been working for a while.

Hey EFL, I dont know how or why they did it this way unfortunately. Just trying to replace the broken switch and electrician charged already £150 for coming around looking at it and saying he can't change it.

£150 for not knowing what he is doing. :?:

You posted a picture of one terminal marked 'COM 2WAY' which doesn't really make sense.

What does this say; I can't make it out.?
1694952774379.png

Oh, by the way, I don't know either. That's £150 please.

:LOL: Yeah I'm amazed how people can charge this kind of money for not doing anything and even not putting it back together properly. Anyways the thing says 1074 which I guess is maybe some form of model number? I trie looking for this online but can't find anything close to this one. Also this is the original wiring from when we bought the flat. So it's not been changed and is probably about 6 or 7 years old. Not sure if that changes anything.

. Anyways the thing says 1074 which I guess is maybe some form of model number?
Ok.

I trie looking for this online but can't find anything close to this one.
Neither can I.

Also this is the original wiring from when we bought the flat. So it's not been changed and is probably about 6 or 7 years old. Not sure if that changes anything.
It looks odd. I don't really know what else to say.

Do you have any test equipment - even a cheap multimeter?

You need to determine what the wires do and where they go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one see below. How would I go about testing things?

Attachments

• IMG_4375.jpg
    IMG_4375.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 32
Sorry I was having a a joke with ELFImpudance about his earlier question.
As far as I know, manufacturers only do 1 way or 2 way or, maybe sometimes, double pole switches. Not intermediate switches (they have 4 terminals + earth) and certainly not dimming as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be rather involved with no earth wires present.

I don't know what to suggest.

Are there any more markings on the cover to indicate what kind of switch it is?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back