Wiring For Light - Two Red Wires & Earth

So what would happen if you did not have continuity back to the CU but did have an earth/CPC link between light fitting and switch?

Sponsored Links
Provided that the earth connection is sound, the lamp will light between earth and live - but not between earth and neutral. Lucia.

If the earthconductor is not sound or is not connected to the earth at the consumer unit then this test method creates the risk of other "earthed" items becoming live.

Well, I tried this method and neither combination would make the test lamp light.

I sort of suspected this would be the case, as the earth had been cut back more so than the other two wires, the previous electrician had obviously decided to use this cable which he must have had to use up, to achieve what was required at the time.

I used a neon screwdriver in the end to determine which was the live.

pbar,
If your CPC (earth cable) has been cut back on your lighting circuit, non of the accessories (switch plates/light fittings) are metalic are they?
As this could be very dangerous.

Sponsored Links
At least the O/P now realises that he doesn't have an effective earth having used that temporary test lamp - which for the few seconds duration of that 'test' wouldn't have posed a significant risk to other accessories - and in any case would be limited by the resistance of the lamp......

Had the O/P used a neon screwdriver initially, to identify the hot wire, then he would'nt have known that his earth connection was unreliable.

We still don't know whether his fittings are Class I or not and it remains to be seen what he intends to do about this problem - if anything.

Lucia.[/i]

The fittings are to be either non metallic or double insulated, as my assumption is that the cabling for the lights is two core only.

The switches are all white plastic.

So, all's well that ends well, then - and you've managed to answer your own question........

Lucia.

I guess I have yes, invaluable help here though, as usual, especially from you PrinceofDarkness, cheers.

As a matter of interest, what's the difference with double insulated light fittings, is it simply that the cable has extra insulation.

No, simply that the fitting has been constructed in a way that "in the event of a fault the casing or other parts that may be touched are not live"

As a matter of interest, what's the difference with double insulated light fittings, is it simply that the cable has extra insulation.

Double Insulated
Double insulated or class 2 electrical appliances are products that have been designed in a way so as not to require a safety connection to electrical earth (These products must NOT have a safety connection to Earth).

These products are required to prevent any failure from resulting in dangerous voltage levels becoming exposed causing a shock etc. This must be done without the aid of an earthed metal casing. Ways of achieving this include double layers of insulating material or reinforced insulation protecting any live parts of the fitting.

There are also strict requirements relating to the maximum insulation resistance and leakage to any functional earth or signal connections of such appliances. Products of this type are required to be labelled "Class II", "double insulated" or bear the double insulation symbol (the symbol displayed above)

Widening this discussion, now that the O/P seems satisfied: Does anyone here agree that there are certain fittings designated as Class II when perhaps they ought to be Class I?

I have in mind particularly, those shoddy 'cheapo' 230V metallic downlights. OK, they have a suitably robust ClassI ceramic lampholder, but this is fixed to a steel base with two insulated - but unsheathed wires leading to the plastic terminal cover mounted on steel stirrup bracket held in place by one of the fixing springs.

The problem here, due to careless installation, is that those two wires are often stretched across the sharp edge of that stirrup in the full rising heat from those dreadful, wasteful 50W halogen lamps.

Regular installers of these beastly fittings will know just what I mean.

I couldn't give a fig for some MI's - particularly when they're written in Pidgin English......

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back