Wiring in a security light

Yes, yes, and yes.

But if you would rather run it from a fused connection unit on the garage socket circuit then you can do that too.

Sponsored Links
i have two lights, one side and one rear plugged into a double garage socket and both working fine but i want to free this socket, how would i add a fused connection unit to the system.i have a rough idea but would like professional advice before moving from thinking to reality.

Thanks 'Ban-all-sheds'! I think the plug is the way to go for now. You don't want to come and do it do you??!! We will probably do that in the short term and get it wired in permanently at a later date. Due to 'attempted' crime here at the mo we need to put in the light to catch them on the newly installed cctv! Thanks again! :LOL:

skybluescooby said:
i have two lights, one side and one rear plugged into a double garage socket and both working fine but i want to free this socket, how would i add a fused connection unit to the system.i have a rough idea but would like professional advice before moving from thinking to reality.
While you wait for that, if you want the advice of an amateur:

You should use 2 FCUs, one per light.

Wire each one into the socket circuit like this if at all possible:

FCU2.gif

rather than on a single cable coming off of a socket. Don't worry about the fact that it says "ring main" - the wiring is exactly the same with a radial if that's what you have.

And if your lights need an earth, don't use 2-core cable as shown....

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about the fact that it says "ring main" - the wiring is exactly the same with a radial if that's what you have.

hhhmmmmmmmmmm not sure about that :!:

Really?

OK - you unscrew a socket from a wall, and it has 2 cables connected to it.

Purely by observation of that socket alone, how would you tell if the circuit was a ring or a radial?

You lift a floorboard, and you can see a length of 2.5mm².

Purely by observation of that segment of cable alone, how would you tell if the circuit was a ring or a radial?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back