Wiring to new telephone socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I was wondering if somebody could help me with the wiring to new socket.
I have a leaflet with the new socket ie Blue with white band goes to number (on new socket) but it's not so much the 3 with coloured bands on it is the blue and white solid wires which it doesn't mention on the leaflet. If I post some images I am hoping somebody can tell me what goes where? Much appreciated.

BT wiring leaflet.JPG
BT socket 2.JPG
BT socket 3.JPG
BT socket.JPG
BT wiring leaflet 2.JPG
BT wiring leaflet.JPG
BT socket 2.JPG
BT socket 3.JPG
BT socket.JPG
BT wiring leaflet 2.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The Blie and White wires are the incoming pair ( the telephone line ) from the telephone exchange.

The socket you are replacing is the BT master socket which is the property of BT.

The socket you are intending to connect is a Master Socket ( it has the ring capacitor ) but is NOT appraoved for direct connection to a BT ( or other supplier ) telephone line.

It is not approved becasue it does not provide any means ( other then disconnecting wires ) of disconnecting the internal wiring ( which can be DIY ) from the incoming pair. This disconnection is necessary when you ask BT to investigate a fault on the line.

If you realy must use that unapproved socket then Blue in terminal 5 and White into terminal 2, with the bi-cloures as in the diagram....That might work but do not call BT when it is connected unless you are prepared to pay for their visit.

Sponsored Links
about 50 volts DC when the phone is not in use, about 9 volts when a standard telephone is in use. and 75 to 100 volts AC is used to ring the bell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back