Wiring up my underfloor heating - some simple advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a 6m2 devimat and thermostat from Homebase to install in my kitchen. I am about to lay it but have some queries with regards to the wiring.

I have a redundant double socket which I am going to replace with a single box and wire the thermostat up to it for the underfloor mat to be connected to. However there is a step in the instructions I'm not sure about. It says:

"The screening around the black and blue wires of the Devimat should both be connected to the earth terminal within the electrical box ...."

Now each black and blue wire has wire split into two sections. One of these is just twisted. The other is twisted into a short clear tube. Which is the earth? Is the clear tube the screening?

Secondly I am laying onto a solid concrete floor. The sensor for the thermostat is inserted into a 15mm thick flexible tube which runs under the mat for at least 20-30cm upto the thermostat. Initially the instructions say "Decide on the direction of the cable loops and lay the mat on the floor so a channel for the tube can be made. The channel should be deep enough for the tube to finish flush with the floor surface". Yet further on there is a section about installing the mat onto concrete and it shows the floor sensor on top of the concrete with the mat over the top.

Which is it? Do I have to dig a channel? If so what is the best way? If I could lay it straight on top this would be much easier .... and I can afford to raise the floor a little. But would I use much more flexible tile adhesive this way?

The saturday staff kid said I could lay the sensor on top of the concrete and then lay the mat over the top of this (which agrees with the diagram). Can I believe him?

Like all jobs I thought i'd be done by now ... and I've barely started!

Cheers

K

A keen DIY'er - but a noob!

Sponsored Links
a pic would be usefull, but the screen is the one that is NOT blue or brown, sceen is a "braid" so if you can see this earth it (so long as its not blue or brown)

I would make a small cahnnel and put the stat in that, since if it gets crushed your mat wont work / properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back