Wobbly wall pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had our old kitchen window ripped out, new uPVC door and window installed. Now though, the outside wall moves a bit when the door is closed! Can I rebuild the inside wall then tie the exterior brickwork to that?

See pic

25-10-05_move_wall_s.jpg

Sponsored Links
The brickwork is out of plumb. The interior wall is a complete mess. After I'd moved the sink to allow the door people access, I noticed crumbly crappy brickwork and nothing tieing the walls together. Perhaps this is why the wall is out, I'm now worrying that exterior and interior walls need rebuilding.

The wall on the left of the concrete block is not out of plumb so perhaps just that section has moved?

Sponsored Links
bikerm4 said:
Somethings out of plumb in the photograph.Is it the door frame or brickwork?

The brickwork. The builder told me not to worry too much as there are plenty of single skin porch walls that wobble a bit when the door shuts. However, he has agreed to rebuild the relevant interior section and tie it to the external wall for a very reasonable £80 (on top of the £9500 he's already getting for other work) :eek:

Johndug said:
What happened to the cill for the door?

This door will lead to a conservatory. The blocks on the left are part of the brick extension.The photo was taken part way through the door installation but there will be no sill as it will effectively be an internal door.

Ben32 said:
The builder told me not to worry too much as there are plenty of single skin porch walls that wobble a bit when the door shuts.

Really? I'm not an expert, but I've never seen one, and surely no wall should wobble? I'd love to know if this is true.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back