Wonky Shower Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At 2oclock yesterday morning I was awakened by the sound of our shower pump running for a few seconds and then stopping. The only other person in the house was fast asleep but in any case there was no water on the floor of the shower tray. Exactly the same thing happened at just after 5am just as I was passing the airing cupboard which houses the shower pump and again it lasted for around 10 seconds. And again the shower tray was dry. Haven’t a clue what is happening so have switched off the pump. Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
You may have a slight leak/drip in your pipework or at one of your taps or shower, that sometimes drops the pressure in the pipework just enough to activate the pump switch briefly. Is it a universal pump?

C39E0FFE-B7A8-47D6-98E5-A54C189BD6C1.jpeg

Not sure if it’s universal or not but hopefully the pic has been uploaded. If it is a leak, would that be anywhere in the system?

cant see if it has a small vessel or not and given it's position I don't think so though which means it's a positive head pump, if you can give the model that would help. It may be that the pump just needs serviced, flow switches/filters cleaned etc.

yes it could be anywhere in the system, it could also be down to pressure fluctuations in the mains and theres a faulty hot non return valve in a mixer tap/shower that the pump supplies.

Sponsored Links
1. If it is “a slight leak/drip” that’s causing pressure to fall and trigger the pump, and given that both the hot and cold feeds to the pump are gravity fed from full tanks at a constant pressure, would I be correct in assuming that any leak would therefore lie within the pump itself or between the pump and the shower head?

It may be that the pump just needs serviced, flow switches/filters cleaned etc.

2. If the pump did need servicing, is this something a plumber would do or would it be the manufacturer?

3. We have an ongoing problem with biofilm clogging up taps and shower heads. Could that be a possible source of the pump problem?

1. nope, could be upstream fluctuations triggering the switches too, service the pump and go from there.
  2. yes ... a plumber who has experience with shower pumps, tho not sure if bits for the techflow are still available so it may be just a case of stripping and cleaning and greasing.
  3. could biofilm interfere withthe flow sawitches, probably. Biofilm could be down to the cold water storage cistern, is it looked at regularly and kept clean/covered and insulted & make sure the hot water is set to at least 60Deg

nope, could be upstream fluctuations triggering the switches too
I live and learn!
yes ... a plumber who has experience with shower pumps, tho not sure if bits for the techflow are still available so it may be just a case of stripping and cleaning and greasing.
Getting a plumber is out of the question with a round trip of 150+ miles. Will have a look at the pump myself and if I get lost will simply replace the pump.

could biofilm interfere withthe flow sawitches, probably. Biofilm could be down to the cold water storage cistern, is it looked at regularly and kept clean/covered and insulted & make sure the hot water is set to at least 60Deg]
If the cold water storage cistern is the tank in the loft then yes I check it regularly and it’s clean and covered. The last plumber who was here said that if ever he was in the area again he would treat the system with some sort of treatment that cost around £50 to buy.

Will keep the thread updated if I can.

EDIT 10.35 pm : The treatment the plumber suggested was Fernox ********!!!!

Last edited:
Sevicing a te hflow shower pump

Not really sure but it was something that would deal with the black sludge that clogs up the toilet flushings, the taps and the shower heads.

[QUOTE="Madrab, post: 4278827, member: 193949make sure the hot water is set to at least 60Deg
[/QUOTE]

Decided to have a look at the pump myself and found guidance at Plumbworlds “Shower Pump Care and Maintainence” here:https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/blog/showerpumpcareandmaintenance However, was a bit puzzled when part of the advice given states:

“......make sure that the water temperature from the hot water cylinder does not exceed 60C. Water that is excessively hot can cause damage to the pump during prolonged use, draw air into the system and invalidate its warranty”.

Our HW cylinder thermostat is set at 67 degrees.

Yeah, 55-60 Deg at the cylinder, max 50Deg at the outlet, that's the optimum HW temp. 67deg is a bit high but if you like it hotter then fair enough.

Yup, lots of plastic and rubber in the pump that doesn't like it too hot, keeps expansion at a min too and extends the life of the seals, too hot can eventually harden them.
Is that your issue though .... don't think so.

If you are serious about stripping it down then try this resource

http://www.plumbteamltd.co.uk/stuart.html

If you are serious about stripping it down then try this resource

http://www.plumbteamltd.co.uk/stuart.html
Thanks Madrab, I really fancy having a go at that. And while I’m doing it, I’ll connect the feeds to the pump to those to the shower so that we can at least have a gravity fed shower. That is if I can find threaded connectors to join the 2 sets of flexible pipes.

Last edited:
Obviously they are using a dead monsoon but the theory's the same for most ST pumps. The Techflo were a little different though, they may not be as easily accessible/serviceable as the others are, just the way they made them I think as they are ST's budget pump.

The area (and easiest) place you want to look at first if you can get to it is the float switch + non return valves. There may also be a coupe of inline strainers/filters, give them a clean too. There definitely isn't any leaks or dripping taps that could be letting air in?

Don't connect the flexi's directly like that ....you'd put the flexi's under too much bending strain, you'd need to create a loop out of pipe and a few couplers but not sure how good a shower it would give you under gravity.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back