Wood bleach

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - once again after some advice from you pro's
When we bought our house we put new banisters rails etc and varnished it dark (years ago that was the "in" thing. Now I hate it. I have started to very laboriously strip all the varnish off. The wood is coming up good but I would like it to go lighter than it is. I obviously know it will never go back to the original colour but has anyone tried wood bleach? Would this take it back a couple of shades.? I really don't want to just paint it white. Any advice please??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are 3 types of wood bleach-

https://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/finishes/get-the-color-out-with-wood-bleach

Do you know whether you used solvent based or waterbased stain?

If you use the right product, you will be able to lighten the wood but it may not be cost effective and may be harmful to your health.

If you are not sure which type of stain you originally used, slightly soak a cloth with white spirit and see if it is able to "lift" some of the stain.

Be advised that the fumes from the bleach ain't nice and that you will then need to neutralise it after. You may also find that the grain raises and requires more sanding.

Hi oops - thanks for reply. I really cant remember which one I used but if it is of any help when I washing off the paint and varnish remover it does seem to be lifting off - a little. I do so wish we hadnt stained it that colour but it was the rage then yuk. Do you think if I keep on washing it down with something it would help? I used the screwfix paint remover (told it was great - but not so sure) very legthy process and I have gone through 2 bottles already and still have a lot to do!! Can you advise me on the best paint and varnish remover please?

Hi again oops tries the white spirit it took of the varnish slightly but where I had already cleaned very little came off - I dont think I will go with the wood bleach - sounds horrible stuff and as you said not good for my health. Do you think If i keep on putting varnish remover and then keep on washing that would help? Thanks

Sponsored Links
if you still have tinted varnish/woodstain on the wood, you will have to sand it all off.

The only decent paint stripper I have used is the methyl chloride stuff. It used to be the defacto paint stripper until it was banned for non-industrial use in 2012.

You can still buy it but IIRC it can only be sold in unit sizes over 5L and technically it can only be used in industrial applications.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-St...per-Extra-Strong-5-Litre-Gloves-/262036146728

It was banned following concerns about it being carcinogenic. Personally, I am still happy to use it in unoccupied houses or outdoors- I work on the (possibly misguided) assumption that most things are safe if your exposure is limited (with the exception of things like white asbestos or plutonium) but given the possible risks, I think it better that you consider something like Peel Away paint remover.

Peel Away is like a poultice that you "paste" on and then cover with the supplied polythene sheeting which prevents it drying out. The firm makes several versions, eg to remove waterbased paints or solvent based paints. If you are not sure which type of paint/varnish you are working with you can buy a sample set.

The fact that white spirit didn't do anything makes me think that you may have used waterbased stain, in which case you may want to try the appropriate Peel Away. Alternatively consider the following

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/woodleys-wood-stain-remover

I appreciate that you might not want to read this but it may actually be cheaper to replace the banisters and
balustrades and just focus on cleaning up the newel posts. It all depends on the monetary value that you place on your free time and the quality of finish that you want.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hmm i am afraid replacing banisters is not an option. I would love too but they are kind of built into stair case. Oh well just carry on with paint stripper - they dont look too bad I have to say better than i thought but would have liked it lighter - but you cant have everything you want!! Thanks for all your help though - much appreciated.

modern paint stripper is not much good, now they've taken out the traditional carcinogens.

Oops thanks but they are not spindles ( in my case thank heavens for that) - they are long lengths of wood which are then set into end rails. I would have loved to rip it down but hubby wouldnt hear of it lol

modern paint stripper is not much good, now they've taken out the traditional carcinogens.
Yes have to agree I remember the time if you spilt paint remover on your skin it would burn like h**l - now it can sit on paint for an hour and hardly touch it!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back