Wood burning stove - 'treated' wood?

Yeah but if you can smell the rosewood then you can get poisonous fumes the same way.

Sponsored Links
I see two potential problems, apart from the noxious fumes which should, in theory, not occur if your burner is properly sealed.

1. You may create noticeable smoke which could land you in trouble if someone complains (unless you have the benefit of not being in a smokeless zone, of course).

2. Even if you have a chimney liner, burning wood such as you have listed could, eventually, lead to a chimney fire.

Using other than properly seasoned or kiln-dried wood just to light your fire (eg, softwood kindling, paper, cardboard) is OK, but burning such things routinely is not to be advised.

But, surely, all the wood,fencing and ex-joinery, the OP is talking about is kiln dried.

But, surely, all the wood,fencing and ex-joinery, the OP is talking about is kiln dried.

Well, maybe at some point, but after that a lot of it was outside for tens of years. The last two years it's been stored in a dry garage.

Sponsored Links
I would say Bonfire night is your best bet for that lot or recycling at your local tip.
Or even ripsaw the stuff into reusable timber.

I owned a woodworking factory for 22 years and every winter we burned chipboard offcuts.

The problem with burning anything with additives ie wood with paint , chipboard with glues etc is that it burns HOTTER than normal wood which you might think is great but not when your stove melts the ironwork distorts and your firebricks crack.

Burning chipboard as opposed to hardwood and softwood offcuts will damage your fire and put tar and other resins up the chimney which can potentially catch fire and cause more damage.

Even burning bits at a time will cause the same overall accumulation of debris even if it wont melt the fire.

The problem with burning anything with additives ie wood with paint , chipboard with glues etc is that it burns HOTTER than normal wood which you might think is great but not when your stove melts the ironwork distorts and your firebricks crack.

Correct, and the irony here is that domestic fires are actually not hot enough to deal with treated timber. Colder fires result in the formation of dioxins which are destroyed at industrial temperatures. I forget the temperatures needed but you would normally need forced air into the fire to get it hot enough.

If it's hot enough to melt the iron it's hot enough to destroy any dioxins. I think we might be getting a little health and safety crazy here.....

Sponsored Links
Back