Wood burning Stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning to install a wood burning stove. The dimensions of my hearth check out and I have researched the right liner, stove and cowl.

Can I fit it myself, thus saving money on an installer or do I have to get a HETAS chap round.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
hi
You could fit the stove yourself if you are handy / trade orientated but
you must and i cant emphasise this enough, YOU MUST get a correctly registered engineer to inspect the install and certify that it is safe to use.
You really dont want to be risking a carbon monoxide/dioxide incident.
hope this helps

ps , ensure that the room you are installing in also has the right amount of ventilation!

No doubt you're only trying to help the OP, but the information given is incorrect.

Yes if the OP is handy he can DIY but it must be checked by a LABC inspector, not a HETAS registered engineer. The HETAS guy is only covered to 'self certify' his own work, not approve that of others. That is why they (HETAS, OFTEC, GWN etc) are known as 'self certification schemes'.

Sponsored Links
Having just completed a Hetas Biomass course, let me explain. Like its been mentioned you have to be part of a scheme to install one even if you think you know how. Hetas is not the only scheme provider, as I will be covered under Napit.
I believe a guy in Hull or Grimsby was killed by carbon monoxide in the last 12 months. So its not just a Gas related safety problem.
Saying that, some DIY are very competent but not trained!

Why are you going fora WB?

"mbga9pgf" might have some advice (maybe not :D )

Hi

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am confident in what I am doing and have done all the research, part j etc.

I just find it hard to hand over 1000 odd quid for something I can do.

Has anyone tried the building control route.

We plan to use a 10kw. I realsie I need permenant ventilation. Question is can I put a vent in my register plate then put a vent in in the chimney stack above the roof line. The calcs form part J say I only need 5750mm2. (Nothing/ vent brick).

I am going to use a chimney liner to take away the log burner smoke, therefore they will not be mixed.

What do you think.

That makes me think even more that you need a properly qualified person to oversee the installation.

IF you can find the right guy he should agree to just deal with the regulatory aspects as long as he is brought in at the beginning and can supervise your work.

Tony

So venting in this manner is a possiblity.

The room (3 rooms knocked through) its going in is 14.3m x 4.4m x 2.7m(h). So I cant see venting as an issue anyway. But have to follow the rules.

Cheers

So venting in this manner is a possiblity.

The room (3 rooms knocked through) its going in is 14.3m x 4.4m x 2.7m(h). So I cant see venting as an issue anyway. But have to follow the rules.

Cheers

with respect you do not understand the dangers if there is no air flow
your fire consumes the air in the room and replaces it with deadly co2 making you lethargic and may kill you in a short while in the same way a car exhaust pipe is inserted back in to the car

Even Big-All is now getting his gases muddled up!

Even now I am enjoying a fizzy drink bubbling out that deadly CO2 !

I wonder how far the OP would get if he fills his car up with 5,000,000 mm3 of petrol ?

Even Big-All is now getting his gases muddled up!

Even now I am enjoying a fizzy drink bubbling out that deadly CO2 !

I wonder how far the OP would get if he fills his car up with 5,000,000 mm3 of petrol ?

possibly the bubbles in the cider or the alcohol in the whisky confusing my 2 brain cells :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back