Fitting a wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to fit a wood burning stove into an existing fireplace. I've had the chimney swept & it's condition is good. However, it seems to be good practice to line the flue anyway - so that's what I'd like to do.

I've researched the subject (including trying to make sense Building Regs Part J), but I'm still not entirely sure of the practical details surrounding the flue pipe & register plate and flexible pipe adapter.

The stove I plan to buy will have a 5" flue outlet - should I still use a 6" flue liner with a suitable adapter? (A website I read, said minimum 6" liner should be used, even if stove outlet size is smaller - but I can't see anything in the Building Regs that recommends this. Also, the stove manufacturer doesn't mention it).

Is there a minimum length of flue pipe required from the stove before I join to flexible flue liner? (I've read that this should be minimum 600mm - but, again, I don't see anything about this in the Building Regs).

Is there a way to finish fitting the liner, adapter and register plate & then fit the stove afterwards - say with an adjustable length of flue pipe? (I've found this:-

http://www.hotline-chimneys.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=2459

...but it doesn't seem to help if the stove has a 5" outlet)

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Which stove is it? Speak to the makers. If it's a cheap far eastern import, think again and go for a more efficient stove. There is a HUGE difference in the fuel required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back