5"Stove Pipe to 7" Clay Liner Chimney Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had wood burning stove fitted by a HETAS registered installer and have a question.

Stove pipe is 5" and chimney inlet is a 7" clay liner. All the installer has done is insert the 5" pipe inside the 7" liner by 3 to 4". This leaves a 1" gap all the way round which is no way "gastight" Is this standard practice? Is this going to cause a problem with condensation? Should I get HETAS or building control involved?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I'm not HETAS but I'll give you some thoughts on it seeing as no one else has answered.

What does it say in the instructions?
It wont make any difference to any condensation issue.
What he has done is create a draught diverter which is usually a part of the fire. While I don't think it is dangerous at this time there is a possibilty that it could be and I would definitely seek further advice. If advice doesn't come from this site have a word with HETAS or the manufacturer.
Meanwhile you might be able to post a picture and give more information on the stove you have fitted for when or if someone more knowledgable on this subject comes along

it requires sealing into the flue.it should be flaunched into the flue so you dont get any build up of anything in the flue.

Sponsored Links
That doesn't sound like a compliant installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back