Wood Burning Stove Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would really like to install a wood burning stove in my new single storey extension which is in the process of being built. Given the picture below with some dimensions, can anyone recommend a location for a stove and recommend a stove to buy if this could work.

I have put the wall material as best I can.

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 19.11.16.png

Looking for advice before the underfloor heating goes down.

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that you need at least 4.5 metres of flue coming off the top of the stove to comply with the regs. This means you'll have about 2.5-3m sticking out of your roof on a single-storey extension, which might be more than you'd like to see. It also needs to be 2.3m horizontally away from any wall at the terminal, so if you can't achieve that with its proximity to any two-storey part of the existing house you'll need to go all the way up to at least 1m above the two storey part of the house

If you're happy with that, then any stove with a certificate that says the base will never exceed 100°C will do, although it's worth spending a decent wedge to get a quality one. Do you want a traditional or modern look?

Oh thanks a lot for the reply. I was actually more worried about the proximity to the walls of the house being combustable. Is that not a problem with plaster?

I was thinking of taking the flue right up the side of the house. I know it's going to be pricey as my house is 9.2 meters high.

Probably modern given the extension will also be modern. I absolutely love this one:

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 19.39.56.png

Your plaster, if it's plasterboard, will be combustible but as you'll need to use twin-wall insulated flue externally it's often the case that the entire system is installed in twin-wall, and this generally only needs to be 50mm away from combustible materials. Prepare to spend around £1200 on a flue system if you're going 10m up. The Invicta Ove needs to be 500mm away from a combustible surface at the rear, although it could be possible to reduce this if a suitable heat shield was to be incorporated into the wall.

Sponsored Links
Your plaster, if it's plasterboard, will be combustible but as you'll need to use twin-wall insulated flue externally it's often the case that the entire system is installed in twin-wall, and this generally only needs to be 50mm away from combustible materials. Prepare to spend around £1200 on a flue system if you're going 10m up. The Invicta Ove needs to be 500mm away from a combustible surface at the rear, although it could be possible to reduce this if a suitable heat shield was to be incorporated into the wall.

Heat shield sounds interesting. Something like this?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/klima-the...hZjwHpj9yu-fe1EVKYSgQfr51wnJkS-IhAhoC9Kvw_wcB

I'd run as much of the flue inside as it gives out heat and pulls quicker than a colder outside flue.

I fitted one in my 2 storey lounge extension but built a chimney breast to box in the flue.
It's a Stovax Riva duplex which is glass on both sides so you can see right through it.

Instal with separate piped in air supply from roof
90EE2DBF-45F1-4865-8297-A98DB65EE121.jpg

And off showing view through

And on (temp soundbar hence wire, top photo has proper Sonos in)

Thanks shambolic. Looks fantastic. I was really hoping for a free standing one. My extension is nowhere near as large as yours. It's going to have wet underfloor heating everywhere so this needs to be a small feature rather than a main heat source.

If you just want a feature then that Ove might be too big - 10kW is a lot of heat and burning it at low rate for long periods will make it smoke.

If you just want a feature then that Ove might be too big - 10kW is a lot of heat and burning it at low rate for long periods will make it smoke.
Yeah I don't tend to burn it on low rate though. I have over 50 acres of deciduous woodland for aback garden :)
Logs are free. Apart from the work involved in cutting, hauling and stacking them.

You're absolutely right. And size-wise too big for the room anyway. It is a good example of the style I would like to create though. Open to any suggestions on smaller yet stylish designs.

Thanks shambolic. Looks fantastic. I was really hoping for a free standing one. My extension is nowhere near as large as yours. It's going to have wet underfloor heating everywhere so this needs to be a small feature rather than a main heat source.
My whole downstairs is underfloor too. Put on the fire and it turns off lounge and library stats turning of ufloor in the main living areas. ( I have radiators in satellite rooms off this space and in bedrooms).
I also have hot air piped from heat exchanger in stove to upstairs.it works really well.
Once you fit and start using a proper stove you will love it!!

You're absolutely right. And size-wise too big for the room anyway. It is a good example of the style I would like to create though. Open to any suggestions on smaller yet stylish designs.
Have a look at Stovax online though as they do smaller versions and different designs.
http://www.stovax.com/stove-fire/riva-vision-wood-multi-fuel-stoves/riva-vision-small/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back