Wood primer not drying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I painted some newly installed architrave with solvent based "Dulux for Wood" "Interior & Exterior Use Primer".

2 days later and it's still slightly tacky.

Can anyone advise please? Will it eventually dry and how long? Should I have used water based (which I find never gives a smooth finish)? Should I have used the trade oil paint? etc.?!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Suprising how much damp is new wood. I think it will dry after a couple of days enough to rub down on.

Sponsored Links
100 year old house. Previously sealed doors between two rooms. Hot air stripped paint down to bare wood and rubbed down so shouldn't have been any moisture in it.

But slowly, slowly seems to feel better.

Just out of interest is oil based primer best or would, for example a trade water based primer do a good job?

Sorry asumed it was new timber. I would always use an oil based primer as this will soak into the wood and lift the grain as it should so it can be rubbed down prior to undercoating. Water based primers sit on the surface of the wood and are not as easy to rub down as you tend to just rub the primer back off again. Some of the paints however can be a little oily and need a good stir up before use.

Sorry asumed it was new timber. I would always use an oil based primer as this will soak into the wood and lift the grain as it should so it can be rubbed down prior to undercoating. Water based primers sit on the surface of the wood and are not as easy to rub down as you tend to just rub the primer back off again. Some of the paints however can be a little oily and need a good stir up before use.

Thanks for that. I wondered if perhaps I hadn't mixed it well enough but it seemed pretty homogenous. Anyway, as said, slowly slowly it seems to feel better. I'll wait till it feels completely dry before rubbing down and moving on.

100 year old house will have had linseed oil colours applied in the past, so the wood will still hold traces of oil. Next time try scrubbing it with white sprit and wiping clean after you have stripped it. Also aluminium wood primer (oil based) it very good for old wood especially if it has ever been burnt off. It also seals knots. It dries grey, not silvery.

I have been using that and similar for a long time, very quick and easy, and easy to flat down, and fast drying. However for a difficult, hardwood, knotty, oily or outdoor surface, I still prefer Aluminium wood primer.

As good as the New dulux primer may be, the men that work in the shop are not decorators putting it on every day. They read the back of the tin or product sheets to gain a bit of knowledge but dont really know what its like to use.

As good as the New dulux primer may be, the men that work in the shop are not decorators putting it on every day. They read the back of the tin or product sheets to gain a bit of knowledge but dont really know what its like to use.

Y'know Rob, You're obviously a great P&D but you really need to drag yourself up to date and stop living in the past.

Now I'm a dec, and this stuff is brill. I use it regularly and give it top marks.

Move on a bit Rob, things have changed.

I know, I know !!!! Old habits die hard. Still think the shop assistants know S*d all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back