Wood stove boiler + gas combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Can someone point me in the direction of a schematic that shows a wood stove heating a heat store/preheater.
This heat store should then supply DHW and CH.

I already have a brand new gas combi which I want built in to this system as a backup (realistically to be used in the summer when we need DHW but no CH).
Ideally, I'd prefer for the gas combi to supply DHW/CH directly as opposed to heating the heat store/hot water tank.

Thanks in advance

CF

Sponsored Links
I looked into this at one point using a Dunsley Neutraliser, but didn't proceed at the time for several reasons.

Linking a solid fuel stove to a system with a gas boiler is fairly complex to understand (it was for me anyway :) ) but I thought this video I found whilst investigating the various options explained the concept in a way I could understand. Not sure how it would work without the hot water cylinder, but maybe someone else might be able to help with that.

Last edited:
I also looked into it, and have seen it working in brother-in-laws old house Torrent pipe example.PNG however when he moved I looked into retro fitting same system, and the cost was silly.

The main problem with solid fuel is one can't simply switch it off. So it must be able to work even with no electric at least until fuel burning has been used up, I saw this Hughes Condensing Stove 2 small.jpgsolid fuel unit, but when I wrote asking what happens in a power cut, I got no replies. So basic a ticking time bomb.

Your main problem is the combi works at mains pressure, and with a wood burner it uses a metal header tank so if water boils no harm done.

I also had a problem with summer hot water, winter easy the CH boiler heats it up with a hot coil. But summer don't really want to run CH boiler if I can help it. My cure is to use solar, an iboost+ uses excess solar power to heat the DHW in the summer. I can't see any way to combine a combi with a wood burner due to different pressures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back