oil combi boiler / wood burner / thermal store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking and installing a new heating system in my home. I have an existing Grant V90 oil combi boiler and I want to utilise a Dunsley Yorkshire stove with back boiler. I was intending on connecting these to a Gledhill Torrent T210 open vented thermal store. From the thermal store I will supply my DHW and space heating.

I have a could of questions I would apprieciate help with:

1; In the manual for the oil boiler it states it is for sealed systems only. Will this work if the thermal store is open vented.

2; Can anyone suggest an effective method of connecting the 2 heat sources.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You cannot use the oil boiler unless the thermal store has a heating coil. Some do and some dont !

Or you might be able to find a heat exchanger but that would usually need another pump and controls.

Best to plan first and get your experienced installer to do the planning to ensure its correct or that you have someone to blame if it isn't.

Tony

You can connect your stove to the open vented part of the thermal store if you can find enough connections.

BUT to comply with safety needs that connection would probably have to be a gravity circuit with the thermal store above the stove.

There are many design requirements and system design is best left to an expert although if its a new appliance the makers will often give a lot of help.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Get rid of the combi and fit a regular boiler then both systems can be open vented.

Consider fitting a flush dump valve (ie watts or Honeywell TS130) to the HW coil to dump excess heat instead of wasteful heat leak radiators.

If you're in a hard water area avoid HW coils like the plague.
Consider a gravity system retaining the thermal store HW coil for showers only.
Most cylinder manufacturers will make you a heat exchanger utilising solar coils in a small twin domed cylinder.
A lot cheaper than plate heat exchangers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back