Wood burner & Thermal store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have installed a 450 litre open vented multi fuel thermal store. It has direct tappings to a wood burner 28mm gravity, a coil connected to an oil boiler in an S Plan configuration and a coil for solar which is not yet installed so the boiler coil and the solar coil have been linked to give one large coil.
The thermal store is situated on the same floor as the wood burner within 4 meters.
The issue I have is that when the wood burner is not lit and is cold and the store is hot, the wood burner starts warming up with the store being the heat source. I have got 750mm vertical rise straight off the wood burner then about a 3m gradual rise to the store on the flow and the return falls as low as it can off the wood burner then rises to the tapping on the store.
As the wood burner is not used every day this is annoying because I am losing heat up the flue.
Does anyone have any suggestions to prevent this?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a nice gravity circuit that will work either way.
Put a valve in the return that you can turn off that will stop it.

Yea that would do it!
But would it be dangerous though if someone accidentally turned it off when the wood burner was on?

I'd rip out the sludge bucket and find a better place for it. Usually a skip.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back