Wooden Fire Place Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've seen a number of helful posts/advise on here so thought i'd give it a whirl with questions i have about a project i'm doing at the moment.
I've just ripped out our fireplace back to the orginal open fire the had in our 1930's house. Hopefully picture attached.
There is an enormous stone lintel which is a bit battered which i am not going to be taking out as its beyond my DIY confidence!
I would like to put in a wooden lintel just below the stone lintel and then fill in between the two then render the whole wall and stick in a multi burning stove.

My questions are:
If i just use normal bricks and cement to fill in would it stick to the wood?
I'm also a little worried about the proximity of the stove to the wood lintel, what could i cover the wood lintel with as insulation?
(//www.diynot.com/network/Littlenic/albums/)
With regards to the hearth is it necessary to put in any expanding joint? If so what product should i use to fill it with?
Any help gladly recieved.

Just to be sure through using this forum, i've already established the class of flue, the need for a liner or not, and just recently had it swept! I've even gone as far as reading the Bulding reg J's for what help it was!

Sponsored Links
Just to be sure through using this forum, i've already established the class of flue, the need for a liner or not, and just recently had it swept! I've even gone as far as reading the Bulding reg J's for what help it was![/quote]

But have you informed BC of your intended works?

Yep, used there dodgy email portal but to fair I havent heard anything back other than a response that they have received it and will be in touch if required or words to that effect. I've been to our neighbours though and they've done exactly the same as me via BC and had no problem, although was 8 years ago...hmmm maybe I should have waited! Eek!

Sponsored Links
You will need a dense timber preferably hardwood , it will shrink with the heat once installed .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back