wooden floor over parquet flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Want to install solid or engineered oak flooring in the living room. Had a peek under the carpet last night - turns out there is parquet flooring underneath, stuck onto concrete. But about 25% of the parquet has been removed and the gaps filled in with concrete/screed. Some of the remaining parquet is loose.

Have read the stickies & a lot of posts but still unsure what's the best (easiest/cheapest) way to prepare the floor. Can anyone give me some tips?
For info: the concrete/screed repairs are a bit uneven - in some places sticks up above the parquet by 4mm. I reckon I could lever up the parquet, but the concrete/screed repairs are firmly stuck and hacking them off wouldn't be easy.

Also, how do I tell if DPM has already been installed? The house was built
in aprx. 1970. The floors don't feel damp at all.

Had been planning to use Timbermate Excel underlay like in my last house, but the data sheet explicitly says not to lay it over parquet!

thanks for any advice offered
- hannahmuppet -

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back