Wooden Garden Gate Lock Solution Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pair of 1.8x1.8m wooden gates that I'm looking for a locking solution that has the following requirements:
  • Operated and/or locked from either side
  • Be used with a Avocet ABS lock core or padlock
  • Fit's a 70mm deep gate
  • Span's a 20mm gap between gates
  • Installation doesn't effect the structural integrity of the gate members (45x95mm / 2x4")
  • Tolerant of the expansion/contraction of wood
  • Mildly inconvenient for a would-be-trespasser (doesn't have to be high security)
When I originally built the gates, I installed this latch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00R00URKG/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1. This involved cutting a slot through one of the gates uprights, which created a weak point in the upright at the point the fence was under most pressure from wind loading. In a recent storm the upright snapped at this point. The solution also didn't allow us to (un)lock the gate from the outside, which has become more of an inconvenience than originally expected. I'm now looking for an alternative solution.

So far I've discovered the Gatemate long throw lock which a number of retailers sell, which I really like the look of for a number of reasons but it has a number of down falls. Most notably, it's not possible to swap the locking core on it so we can key it to match the rest of the property. This is important to us. Less of a concern, it can't be used as a latch only, and would require an additional latch to be installed for when we wanted to close the gate but not lock it.

I've also discovered the Zedlock W75 lock. I quite like this solution and it seems to tick all of the boxes. My biggest concern is that it requires a 25mm hole to be drilled through a 45mm wide timber, which may potentially impact the structural integrity of that timber. My other concern with this solution is that, I don't feel like I'm looking for anything overly complex or highly secure and yet the solution would cost me around £150 for the lock and replacement core. This feels disproportioned to the benefits the solution delivers.

A simpler solution would be a latch which I could use with my existing ABS padlock. However, I've not managed to envisage a design that would meet my requirements, specifically the requirement for the lock to be accessible from both sides of the gate.

I wondered if anyone else had any other suggested solutions? Or, can anyone provide an visual example of how I could make a gate latch and padlock accessible from both sides?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back