Wooden Playhouse - treating/painting exterior and interior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

New member (please be gentle!) and very much a beginner when it comes to DIY.

We have just ordered this wooden playhouse:

http://www.waltons.co.uk/waltons-tower-playhouse-7x5

It comes with a free 5 litre canister of Cromar Shed & Fence treatment (golden brown). This treatment is “water based and resin enriched”.

The playhouse is on stilts and will be sited on an existing concrete base.

I currently intend to ‘paint’ all of the playhouse with the Cromar treatment first, then (once fully dry) the playhouse exterior with coloured wood stain (probably three different shades of the Cuprinol Garden Shades range) for aesthetic reasons.

The interior floor is chipboard (see third photo on above link under the main photo). I want to cover that with something so it looks nicer and is better to play on – at the moment I’m planning on using a light grey non-slip wooden floor paint for this to cover and disguise the chipboard, which I’ll then embellish with some black non-slip wooden floor paint to make a flagstone effect.

The interior walls and ceiling I intend to paint white, just to maximise light reflection inside the playhouse.

A few questions based on my current intentions (subject to advice received here):

1. My instinct is to paint ALL surfaces and parts of the playhouse (interior and exterior) with the free Cromar Shed & Fence treatment as soon as I get the playhouse and before assembling it. As a “water based and resin enriched” treatment, is this likely to then cause any difficulties/problems in then later (once it’s completely dry, obviously) applying any of:

(a) Cuprinol Garden Shades to the exterior parts;

(b) floor paint to the interior floor;

(c) white paint to the interior walls and ceiling?

In particular I’m worried about the Cromar treatment ‘seeping’ into whatever paints I use to make the interior floor grey and the walls and ceiling white.

2. Do I need to apply any sort of primer to the interior floor before putting the floor paint onto it or can the floor paint just go straight on (I realise it may need 2 or more coats to ‘cover’/disguise the chipboard fully)? Any other prep prior to applying the floor paint beyond white spirit wash to remove any dust, etc?

3. Same question as (3), but for the interior walls and ceiling.

4. What is the best type of paint to use for the interior walls and ceiling? Presumably (even though it’s inside, it'll be outside, if you see what I mean) an ‘all weather’ heavy duty paint will be best rather than the sort of paint one would use for inside a proper house? Would prefer a matt, eggshell or satin finish to gloss. Just want nice white walls and ceiling.

5. What is the best type of floor paint to use for the interior floor? I want something heavy duty that will create a thick covering which disguises the underlying chipboard as much as possible.

Sorry for all the questions/points!

Any advice, hints and tips on any of the above gratefully received.

Cheers,

Midnight24

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back