Wooden 'step' into conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Hoping this is an easy one for you.

We've had patio doors replaced where an old style sliding one was replaced with double opening uPVC doors.

I'd like to cover the broken tiles & screed with a sort of thin 'step'.
Was thinking a strip of plywood, (poss 18mm thick seems common to get hold of and quite thick).
In the last house I lived in had knocked through into the conservatory and covered the join across the brickwork with a similar 'step' in a plywood. It was fine after it was sanded and stained.

Is plywood a good choice or is there anything better ?

Sponsored Links
I wouldent be putting down ply as the edges are prone to wear/absorbing moisture, although if you want a cheap n cheerfull job and you coat it with enough stuff Im sure it will be o.k.I would be looking for a nice bit of hardwood to glue down there-adapt a 2cm off the shelf door threshhold or if thats not wide enough , shape a nice bit of teak or oak window cill to fit.

Who made a mess of the screed and tiles?
You could just over tile the existing with a matching tile.?
New door should have been made to fit opening not the other way round.

Sponsored Links
Who made a mess of the screed and tiles?
You could just over tile the existing with a matching tile.?
New door should have been made to fit opening not the other way round.

Thanks for the replies foxhole & woodgnome.

Alas the conservatory was done about 6 yrs ago and long before we moved in.
Had a quick look for tiles, but couldn't see anything that would match.
Also suspected would be some sun bleaching anyway as conservatory.

The original door was an aluminium sliding patio door and from memory had a wooden cill on the outside, which is why tiling stopped. Tho a couple did get broken getting out the old door.
The company that did the conservatory has long since gone out of business. I checked when we moved in as I wanted the roof fixing as it was leaking. Guarantee not worth paper written on as it was not insurance backed and was with the company :confused:

The original sliding patio door would hardly move, so we had it replaced with something a bit more modern. Builder bricked up half the opening and fitted uPVC doors. Very nice from the inside :D

The screed was me trying to get it flatter before covering with wood.
:oops:

So a piece of hardwood, teak or oak cill etc would be preferable?
Sorry to ask naive questions - is there any specific variant I would need to go for? e.g. over a certain thickness? treated in any way?

Plan to pop to a timber merchants on Sat morning as I suspect they will have a better choice than the DIY sheds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back