Woodland clearance and tidy up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to clear this woodland area. Got tpo on lots of trees, dead logs and branches everywhere. Where to start? Rent a chainsaw for logs etc? I heard they run through the safety when u hire. Been raking up leaves and small twigs then dragging into pile for a guy to take away. The original plan was to put the branches through a chipper but decided to pile it up with pine needles near entrance

DSC_0697.JPG
DSC_0696.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You need to consult your local tree officer to see if you can come to an agreement on what you would like to do.
If you even take a limb off a tpo tree without permission you are in deep doo doo with some massive fines involved.
litl

Don't rent a chainsaw without doing a proper training. Don't waste time and effort removing useful organic materials from the site - there are lots of easy and useful ways to use them on site. What will you be using the area for?

You need to consult your local tree officer to see if you can come to an agreement on what you would like to do.
If you even take a limb off a tpo tree without permission you are in deep doo doo with some massive fines involved.
litl

What about one or two small branches some dead taken off with loppers or small saw off small tree like rhodendron? No common sense with council people. Surely they don't photo every small tree and would be able to prove who cut a few small branches

I guess the tpo trees would be the bigger ones so the little or dead ones would be fine. Will get the guy who lives in the flats to identify the tpo ones. . Anyhow, any dead logs on the tree would be fine to cut up, wouldn't they? If they're dead on floor they can't have a tpo. Need a chainsaw

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't rent a chainsaw without doing a proper training. Don't waste time and effort removing useful organic materials from the site - there are lots of easy and useful ways to use them on site. What will you be using the area for?

Not sure the longterm plans but for now clearing it up. I've looked for training but it's hard to find. At the very least get all the right ppe and get an experienced friend to show me.

Why not keep it as a woodland area - it seems a shame to damage a working ecosystem if you've no other plans for it.

Rhododendrons and pine trees (unless a self seeded native pine) want digging up and burning:evil:

Rhododendrons and pine trees (unless a self seeded native pine) want digging up and burning:evil:
Sure, but do they have tpos?
There are leaves and dead branches everywhere. The paths are blocked from branches

There are supposed to be leaves everywhere. Why not just cut back the branches that block the paths - a decent bowsaw would do it

There are supposed to be leaves everywhere. Why not just cut back the branches that block the paths - a decent bowsaw would do it

I will.

The guy in flats wants to see the soil that's why raking up leaves.

Just a general question but do logs lieing on floor have tpos if I want to chainsaw them up or small trees like rhodies have tpos?

I will.

Just a general question but do logs lieing on floor have tpos if I want to chainsaw them up or small trees like rhodies have tpos?
no fallen branches do not have Tpo, is it your wood or the chap in the flats?
litl

I will.

I would suggest that you find out which trees have preservation orders on them, or if it's a blanket order, and maybe get the guy in the flat a tray of soil to look at ;)

no fallen branches do not have Tpo, is it your wood or the chap in the flats?
litl
The chap in flats. I was told a number like 68 for tpos so presume not all trees have them. I did lop off some annoying branches though which are in the way of path that was a small tree so probably ok. I cut a bigger branches with handsaw off small or medium tree think most branches were dead but might have ct an alive one I guess I need to be careful with these tree freaks around

You have been advised to seek clarifcation from your local tree officer to avoid any doubt !! I had the feeling you were nibbling away at growing stuff and no matter who owns it you are the one doing the cutting and will share the blame and any penalties for contravention of the law..your on your own as Ive gone as far as I can with this.

litl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back