!! Worcester 24i junior fitted, instead of 28i junior ? !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys and Girls

My question ;

Will a worcester 24i junior provide a decent shower pressure ??
With good mains pressure. (Shower to be mounted 1metre from boiler and 1+1/2 metres above outlet). in a two bed, one bathroom, medium sized flat.

Background;

Just had a new boiler fitted (worcester 24i junior, 9.8 l/m flow rate) my problem is, i asked for a 28i junior, 11.4 l/m flow rate !!!

Only found out by coming across a very small sticker behind the front panel. All literature is labelled 24i/28i. Had a 28i fitted in my last place. Great shower pressure ! With similar mains to this one.

Before anyone says just try it. My flats gutted, no bathroom whatsoever and a very old limescaled up, kitchen sink mixer. Which makes it hard to judge.

Central heating works fine (no complaints).

Thought plumber did a good cheap job, until now. Is this no biggy or should i kick off.

Sponsored Links
Thought plumber did a good cheap job, until now. Is this no biggy or should i kick off.

Cheap job equates to cutting corners. Pay peanut, get monkies etc.

I'd say no corners cut, at least on complete system install. Obviously apart from wrong boiler model.

Maybe on the safety. The only quote that didn't involve hiring a scaffold tower 4 stories up to install flu but instead using a ladder (fair comment). Hence cheap price !!!

Any helpfull comments ?

sod that. im bad enough on a bungalow roof. never mind 4 storys high :eek:

Sponsored Links
If his mistake is delibrate I can't condone it BUT a 24kw combi with the property you have will give an excellent shower. It will take time to run a bath but if like me you shower everyday and have a bath maybe once every 2 months then 24kw will be more than adequate.

A mistake is a mistake whether deliberate or not. I would request what I asked and paid for.

...The only quote that didn't involve hiring a scaffold tower 4 stories up to install flu but instead using a ladder (fair comment). Hence cheap price !!!

24i is about the cheapest boiler WB make. You didn't get a cheap job because he used a ladder, you just got a cheap install.
I have seen plenty of i-series, junior and standard, but I have never seen one that was installed as it should.
5 get you 10 that yours isn't up to spec either.
As for your question about performance, as your research no doubt showed, there aren't any combi's smaller than what you have got, so minimalist performance is what you will get.

No big difference in price to buy but maybe he realised that he couldn't get enough gas to it.

Thought plumber did a good cheap job,

He did, you probably paid a good cheap price, why are you complaining?
you have said he has done a good cheap job. correct. Now cope with an inadequate boiler for your demands if it proves to be so. ;)

Regardless of the quality or price of the installation, you specified the boiler you wanted. If he had explained that this wasn't suitable, then fair enough, but he didn't and therefore you are entitled to have what you expected you had paid for installed.

See if you can ask someone else who knows what they are on about to look at it for you to confirm if its been done right then get the installer back & ask him where your boiler is.

Regardless of the quality or price of the installation, you specified the boiler you wanted. If he had explained that this wasn't suitable, then fair enough, but he didn't and therefore you are entitled to have what you expected you had paid for installed.
I'd second that, hold a significant retainer from him pending satisfactory performance. If you are ultimately happy then negotiate a lower price to reflect lower spec boiler.

as above have a quiet word in his lug hole :LOL:
but you do realise you will gain no performance benefits from uprating from the 24i to the 28i junior :(

I am amazed at most of the comments above!

If you specified a 28 kW boiler and were quoted for a 28 kW boiler then thats not a mistake its a fraud.

Installers dont make such a basic "mistake", he clearly thought you would not notice and he would get away with it!

Now the basics! I suppose you only had a verbal quote and paid with cash with no paperwork anywhere.

If thats the case then you were acting as a cowboy just as much as the installer.

If thats not the case, then he has tried to defraud you and you should ensure that either he changes it for a 28 kW which do give a useful extra output or he gives you back the difference in cost ( £50 ) PLUS the cost of changing it, say £150 minimum. OR he must change it.

I suppose next you are going to say that he was not even gas registered!

These situations at first look like a cowboy installer but often turn out to be a cowboy customer who is asking for a cowboy job with an unregistered installer who is to be paid with cash!

Not a nice situation but please tell us the real facts!

Tony

I have said it before, and every junior i post proves me right; junior i-series is one of the cowboys' favourites', and never installed as they should: buy cheap, get cheap.

Of course is wasn't a mistake, bit hard not to notice the difference between 24 and 28 kw when you commission the boiler; chances are the benchmark sheet is not filled out at all, system wasn't cleaned properly if at all, and the gaspipe undersized.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back