Worcester 280 RSF - CH shuts down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I woke up this morning to a cold house :cry: My faithful 280RSF only managed to get the rads lukewarm.

When CH is selected, the demand indicator lights, the burner ignites, and the fan and pump run normally.

But after about a minute, the fan and gas go off, leaving just the pump running. After about 5 mins, they come back on again for a minute or so.

The Boiler Overheat Stat hadn't tripped and the CH sensor is securely mounted and seems OK (resistance about 1KOhm when hot, much more when cold). The system pressure is normal too.

Luckily, DHW is fine :D

Any ideas, please?? I'm getting cold (and the cat's not happy either).

Cheers,
Nick.

Sponsored Links
Well, I've solved my own problem :eek:

It was the diverter valve. The Synchron motor's gone o/c. Operating it manually got the rads hot again:cool:

If you're careful, you can remove the cover from the diverter valve without removing the valve from the boiler or draining the system. Just prise the cover out of the 2 clips at the bottom, using a small screwdriver, then pull off the cover, wiggling it to release it from the screw at the top (which you can't get to cos the expansion vessel's in the way!).

The motor can then be removed by undoing 2 Pozidriv screw and pulling off the wires from the terminals.

Looks like I can get a new one for under £10, whereas a new valve would have cost about £70+VAT + all the hastle!

Am I doing the right thing, or should I bite the bullet and change the whole thing?

Thanks,
Nick.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Why, if it only needs a new motor just fit a new motor.
I just thought that if the motor's bug**red, then maybe the rest of the valve will be on its way out soon anyway.

But you've convinced me!

Cheers, Nick.

Sponsored Links
I will. I think I've even seen those motors in Wickes.

Glad I've got a combi system with no tanks, and I'm only 31 :LOL:

Got a Synchron motor form PlumbCenter on the way home (£16). 15 mins to fit it and re-assemble and everything's PERFECT again.

I used a nylon cable tie to hold the cover back on, instead of the inaccessible screw.

You can get them from Screwfix for less, but I needed it there and then.

Cheers,
Nick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back