Worcester 28dci - Ignition cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester 28dci combi boiler, approx 6 years old. It has recently had a new pressure vessel fitted (6 months ago), and been regularly serviced.

It has started cutting out, with the warning light flashing that the ignition has failed. This means you need to reset the ignition by depressing the red reset button in the front of the boiler.

Please would anyone offer advice as to what may be causing this, and is it dangerous? (I guess the gas supply has a cut off valve to prevent gas leakage etc).

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Could be the minimum gas pressure set too low. you will need a competent person to check it out.

Could be the spark electrode or lead allowing sparking to occur in the wrong place.

Could be the PCB on the way out.

Is this really a 28 dci or perhaps a 28 cdi ?

There are many possible causes of a lack of ignition.

However, apart from the PCB, all the others would need a competent CORGI to diagnose and repair.

The boiler should be able to safely manage itself by cutting off the gas supply when a flame is not detected but ideally you should get it fixed before it fails completely.

There is a possibility that your boiler gives an ignition failure warning if the system pressure is low although this is NOT mentioned in the manual!!!

Is the system pressure at about 1.5 Bar when cold ?

Tony

There is a possibility that your boiler gives an ignition failure warning if the system pressure is low although this is NOT mentioned in the manual!!!

Is the system pressure at about 1.5 Bar when cold ?

Tony

Where is there a water pressure switch in a CDi??

Sponsored Links
I cannot be totally sure of his model ( 28dci ? ) as I deal with boilers when I see them in the flesh and not from MI.

The 28 kW Worcester with two pumps and waterways in the backplate had a LP switch fitted on earlier models which if not operated gave a flame failure indication although this was not mentioned in the book.

The advice was to remove the LP switch and short the connections. Amusingly the part number for the LP switch only showed a price of about £3 and was in fact just a blanking off plug.

Tony

I cannot be totally sure of his model ( 28dci ? ) as I deal with boilers when I see them in the flesh and not from MI.

The 28 kW Worcester with two pumps and waterways in the backplate had a LP switch fitted on earlier models which if not operated gave a flame failure indication although this was not mentioned in the book.

The advice was to remove the LP switch and short the connections. Amusingly the part number for the LP switch only showed a price of about £3 and was in fact just a blanking off plug.

Tony

Your getting yourself confused with a 350 Tony or perhaps the 280 rather
than the CDi range.

CDi's are the ones with the DHW HE at the front and the plastic integral filling loop. :)

It may be the flame sensor that is at fault, get a corgi to check.

Is andygb1970 from Kent who spells (dci) the same as zmt from Devon by any chance.

Your getting yourself confused with a 350 Tony or perhaps the 280 rather
than the CDi range.

CDi's are the ones with the DHW HE at the front and the plastic integral filling loop. :)

I dont think its the 350 but perhaps its the 280 if that has the waterways hidden in the back panel?

I first saw one dumped outside the merchants at only three years old and thought what an odd design! It was a while later when I was called to repair one and was surprised to find the LP switch gave a fault indication which was not covered in the MI. A call to the helpline confirmed what I had discovered but perhaps I am expecting too much that the MI is correct?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back