Worcester Bosch 240 BF Water and Heating Problems!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok guys, got a tricky one for you.

I have a Worcester Bosch 240 BF Boiler. It's been serviced fairly regularly and the last service was about 18 months ago. I fitted a room thermostat and connected this to the boiler a few years ago and all's been working well.

A couple days ago I noticed I wasn't getting any hot water. Checked the boiler and there was no power to it. Checked all the fuses and found a small fuse on the PCB to be faulty, so I replaced it. So I then had power. I also checked the rubber plunger of the diverter valve and that was still in good condition.

The pilot light was off, so I re-lit it. Once I switched the switch for hot water on, the boiler fired up even without any hot water demand. After 10 minutes or so, the boiler fires down and the pilot goes out, I'm guessing this is because the boiler's overheating.
Now the only way I can get hot water, is by running the tap, switching the hot water switch to on, lighting the pilot and by doing so the boiler fires up and hey presto I have hot water. As soon as the tap is closed though, the boiler fires down and the pilot light goes out again.

Another thing that’s puzzling me, is that even with the central heating in the off position, when the boiler fires up for hot water, all the radiators get hot too. This may be a red herring, but thought I’d mention it.

I'm guessing that the whole diverter valve needs replacing, but anyone got any other ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Diveretr valve is seized in HW position by the sounds of it.

When you say the plunger is in good condition, what do you mean?

The diverter wouldnt have bown the fuse though.

In the past, the rubber plunger part of the diverter valve has perished, so I've needed to replace it. It was the first thing I checked and it was still in great condition.

So do you think I need to change the whole diverter valve or is there a way 'un-sieze' it?

Thanks.

More interesting question is why the fuse blew.

Can you very carefully inspect the diverter microswitch and ideally measure its resistance to earth?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,

Not quite sure how to do that, guess I'll need a multimeter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back