Worcester Bosch 280 RSF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
First let me say thank you for adding me.

As the title suggests I have a 280 RSF installed at home, so as you may know they stopped making them in 1997 so its getting on a bit.
Although its still working it appears to be getting a bit tired, most notably when using the shower, its just not as powerful as it was.
So my question is this: is it worth paying a professional to come round and try to breath new life in to it or should I bite the bullet and replace?
Is it likely to be a fixable issue or is it just old and knackered?
Thanks for your time.
jetlag

Sponsored Links
1st thing i would suggest is to clean the shower head, limescale can drastically reduce the performance.

1st thing i would suggest is to clean the shower head, limescale can drastically reduce the performance.

I have done this but thanks for the suggestion Mick.

What I forgot to add to my initial post was that I have measured the cold and water supplies; the cold has a flow rate of about 15 l/min the hot is about 6 l/min.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

So my question is this: is it worth paying a professional to come round and try to breath new life in to it or should I bite the bullet and replace?

Is it likely to be a fixable issue or is it just old and knackered?

Thanks for your time.

jetlag

Can you define what you mean by "less powerful"?

Do I take it from what you have written that since 1997 you have never had the boiler serviced?

Tony

As agile says it has a calorifier not a plate heat ex which are more of a pain to descale

thanks for the responses.

tony; I have not long moved in to the house, the boiler was already there, the 1997 reference was just information I found and is when they stopped manufacture, the one in my house could well be older.

I guess what I am trying to establish is this: has a 16 year old boiler reached/reaching the end of its serviceable life?

thanks again.

I repair a lot of those models.

They are a bit old but solidly built.

To me they are old but totally repairable.

But not all engineers are as amenable to repairing older boilers as I am. Most would suck through their teeth and tell you that you need a new boiler.

For a more detailed reply you would need to measure the hot water flow rate and temperature rise to compare it with the maker's specs.

If you have not had it PROPERLY serviced then that might be all it needs!

Tony

thanks for the responses, I'll source a good engineer with a view to getting a serviced.

just when you thought you had got rid of me....couple more questions if you dont mind
could you tell me, or point me in the right direction, as to what defines a PROPER service?
Is there like a list, perhaps, of what I should most certainly expect an engineer to undertake?
I understand that theres probably a lot of unknows until an engineer gets the boiler apart, but any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks again

Eng should open boiler including the combustion area and poss clean it out.

Visually check for leaks and the flue.

Check gas settings and readjust to correct figures.

Compare hot water delivery with specs.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back