Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i Junior Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i Junior boiler fitted in Nov 2008, and is now out of warranty unfortunately.

The problem is, it doesn't always fire up, and is quite random when it doesn't. Sometimes it will work all day, every time, and other days it will be really intermittent.

When the hot tap is turned on, it doesn't fire up, so cold water comes out of it, also I have my heating on all the time, and controlled of the thermostat. But it still doesn't come on when it should be. (it isn't the thermostat).

I find turning to power off to the boiler for 10 minutes normally helps, but no always.

Any idea what the problem could be?

I phone Worcester, but it is going to cost £215 for them to come out to me, which seems quite a lot!

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get a local guy in to have a look.

This boiler is very difficult to work on, especially the hydraulic parts, which your intermittant fault could well relate to. The Worcester repair may well prove quickest, most effective and cheapest. If it hasn't been serviced annually then you won't have yet spent anything on maintenance.

Sponsored Links
When it does not fire up what indication of the problem do you get ion the front?

I suppose that you did not get it serviced at the end of the first and second years?

It may be a simple ignition setting that would be dealt with on a service.

Tony

No, Stupidly I forgot about it....as it was working fine for two years.

There is no indication as such, just the boiler doesn't light up, and the green LED doesn't light up.

This morning when I got in from work it wouldn't start up at all. The pressure was up to 2.5 bar which it hasn't been filled up to that ever before, and the water definitely passing the valves.

I emptied a bit of water out via the radiators, and it went down to 1.5 bar, I turned the power to the boiler back on, and everything worked fine.

Just got up now (I'm on nights) and the pressure was at 1.5 bar still, but the heating should have been on, but it wasn't. I ran the hot tap and it still didn't ignite, but as I was stood there the pressure raised to 2.5 bar in front of my eyes.

Does this sound like an obvious problem?

I'm going to set up a service contract, with some like British Gas, but will I need to get the boiler repaired before I do this? Or might they fix it on the service?

Thanks

Just to bump this back up.

The boiler finally stopped working yesterday, and would sound like it was firing up, but then just went off.

The engineer has been round today, and said it is the pump. It is getting power to it, but isn't spinning as it should. So he wants to fit a new one tomorrow when he gets one.

Do you normally replace these, or would you normally fix them?

It's only 2 years and 3 months old, so out of warranty :(

Hi there everyone, i am intrigued to find out if the new pump solved your problem as i am experiencing a similar problem with the same boiler in a barn i converted a while a go now but never seems to have worked properly, the boiler is now out of warranty and am wondering whether to go down the same route as yourself.

Cheers

Al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back