Worcester Bosch Greenstar CDi with opentherm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Hive thermostat took a tumble and the display broke so was in the market for a new thermostat. Screwfix had a black Friday deal on a Nest so here we are. Wired it in binary on/off mode but read about the opentherm connectivity so as others in this forum have discussed I picked up Bosch/Netstats opentherm / EMS convertor from ebay. This is where my problems started. The Nest can see the boiler (it complains when I unplug the EMS connection from the boiler) so I know it's making a connection but the boiler is permanently on. CH water temp is the only control I have so I have reverted back to on/off for now. I've found a Technical bulletin for another model that talks about needing additional parts or a factory reset to tell the boiler to look for an external control. Any ideas and is this DIYable? If I try a reset is there a way to make a note of settings and re-enter them or is this a bad idea?

Attachments

• PXL_20221203_100620446.jpg
    PXL_20221203_100620446.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 291
Sponsored Links
I think @Ranking Roger might have run into the same issue:

I didn't have a solution for him, but pinging just in case he found one.

I used the same converter with a Greenstar 30i and it fired right up, but I'm starting to think I was lucky!
I presume you've done the obvious and turned it all the way off and on again.

[edit - my bad, you already linked the same bulletin. If it were me, I'd probably be trying that next. But obviously you're running the risk of breaking it in cold weather and needing a callout. That said, installation instructions are easy to find online, so you have the same info as a typical heating engineer would have, I think.]

Thanks @harrythefurrysquid. I'm a little wary of trying a factory reset. I'm imagining explaining to the wife and kids why when it was working I've messed it up.

Is there anything I can do to remove that risk from a factory reset? Is thre a good online source on the Greenstar menus? The manual is light in that area. Could nothing go wrong with a reset? Would my installer have changed much when putting it in or at its annual service? Thinking maybe I should just wait until the next service before trying again.

Thanks @harrythefurrysquid. I'm a little wary of trying a factory reset. I'm imagining explaining to the wife and kids why when it was working I've messed it up.

Is there anything I can do to remove that risk from a factory reset? Is thre a good online source on the Greenstar menus? The manual is light in that area. Could nothing go wrong with a reset? Would my installer have changed much when putting it in or at its annual service? Thinking maybe I should just wait until the next service before trying again.

I think that might be wise TBH.
I think OpenTherm only gives a few % extra efficiency at most so maybe better just to leave it in relay mode until the summer.

Also I think I'll stop mentioning that adapter. I have no idea why it worked for me straight out of the box but so far that's two separate people in a few days who have had basically the same show-stopper.

Sponsored Links
I think that might be wise TBH.
I think OpenTherm only gives a few % extra efficiency at most so maybe better just to leave it in relay mode until the summer.

Also I think I'll stop mentioning that adapter. I have no idea why it worked for me straight out of the box but so far that's two separate people in a few days who have had basically the same show-stopper.
Apparently there are numerous versions of the EMS bus. Maybe my boiler is incompatable with the opentherm adaptor's EMS version ‍♂️

Did find this page though all about a little bit of kit you can buy to fiddle with the EMS bus. https://bbqkees-electronics.nl/wiki/gateway/how-the-gateway-works.html

If only I had more time although maybe I should start on smart light switches and ip cameras rather than the box in my kitchen that burns explosive gasses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back