worcester greenstar Boiler issue (light wont stabalise)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The blue light had been turning off randomly but only once every few months - a simple reset (turn the 'right' dial fully left and then back , fixed the issue previously)

today the boiler has sounded more violent, after r reset. sounds like it is boiling water and then after 2-4 minutes it goes from a blue light to then flashing and stops and then goes from a solid blue back to flashing

we have an engineer coming but this is 3 weeks time, I have 2 kids and wondering if someone can help so I can maybe do anything to try get hot water sooner

3 very short videos showing the above and the bottom one is from the other side of the wall from the flue outside

about 5 months ago the PCB was replaced as the whole system was completely dead and had no lights - doubt this is connected though but thought id mention in case

Sponsored Links
Looks like you have an Ri, so check the pump & motorised valve. Do you have heating? Do you have an immersion heater for hot water?

Currently don't have heating or water (relying on immersion)

But to make it worse the light now won't come on

I've reached out to British gas who fixed it previously as they have 12 months warranty on their parts

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If you’ve neither, then it still could be the 2 components I mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Ok thank you, it gives me more to check, I know we have a pump in a cupboard upstairs but not sure where the valve is

I checked the loft with our water tank/s and all appears to be ok there

It now seems like the PCB has gone again, I had tried to reset the boiler which worked before

Would/could those 2 parts potentially break the PCB? No light coming on now what ever I try

Thanks for the advice/knowledge though!

No they wouldn’t cause the pcb to break, and I think you’re possibly barking up the wrong tree with the pcb, I’d go with the pump and or valve first. The valve is after the pump.

But up until earlier today the boiler was making noise, when I tried to reset today I heard a small pop noise

Now it's completely dead and no lights but if you think they could be the cause is there anything I can do to maybe check?

You may have a fault with the pump or valve, as said above, if so, it may have blown either the fuse in the fused switch which isolates the heating system, or the fuse in the boiler PCB, causing the lack of display.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back