Worcester greenstar junior - no heating but hot water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Worcester greenstar junior it seems that the mt10 timer has given up..... I have hot water but no heating, the green light comes on for about 30 seconds and then turns off, I'm hoping these are related issues. is there a way of by passing the timer to test this? or any other way of testing this?
I have turned bled all the radiators,
pressure is 1.5 bar
I have reset the boiler
turned it off and on again.
now run out of ideas.

If I install a nest/hive system, do I need to replace the timer as well? this may be a silly question... but I've been up since 4am with a crying child.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could be a diverter motor issue. However the MT10 timer - in what sense has it given up?

that sounds expensive... thanks ill do some googling. the MT10, the clock doesn't work, and the switch doesn't seem to do anything between off, clock and on

Try putting it on the clock setting and push all the pins in, make sure the thermostat is set high enough too. As for the expense - it’s a matter of whether you have heating. Can’t see it being that expensive. As for Nest/Hive - either would work, as would many others, although Nest requires existing wiring for the thermostat or to be plugged into a socket. Removing the MT10 requires removing the boiler casing and must only be done by a competent person able to check for safety afterwards.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A Nest would replace the MT10, the Nest HeatLink has output to request central heating from the Combi

ah okay, just had a google, that's not as bad as I expected. I think id get both done at the same time better safe than sorry and all that. thanks both.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If the clock doesn't work (does it actually advance in time?), that may be what is interfering with the CH not running. The timeclock is the 'interlink' that controls the central heating, if that isn't making the internal connection then the boiler won't fire in CH mode.

The bypass would be performed inside the boiler and as suggested that's really an engineers territory, especially if you have little ones. It is a relatively quick and easy test mind you.

no, the time clock doesn't advance in time. so that would make sense.

ideal thank you

Did you try my suggestion of pushing all the pins in?

Had anyone out to it yet? I take it the pins in didn’t work then?

Not had anyone out yet, been away all week on work. Yeah the pins didn’t work. Thanks for the ideas though

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Those clocks are prone to fail, and they're quite expensive to replace, you'd probably be better off just replacing it with a wireless prog stat, and disconnecting the existing clock.
If you're not confident, get someone to do it for you, it's a 20 min job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back