Working out angles for skirting boards on bay windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Apologies if this answered elsewhere. I've found a couple relating to skirting boards, but not specifically to my problem.

I have fitted skirting throughout my dining room, which is a traditional 1930's semi-detached dining room with a bay window.

My problem relates to the two angles to the left and right of the bay (where they join the left and right walls). It is difficult to explain in words. But from what I can tell, the angle is 110 degrees (does that sound right?). It's bigger than a 90 degree right angle - kind of between a 90 degree and a straight 180 degree. The piece I have layed on the left wall has a finished angle of 45 degrees at the end of it (done using an electric mitre saw). But if I try to slot a female 45 degree angle to it for the inside of the left hand bay, there's a big chunk missing on the outside of the skirting. If I turn the board around and cut the angle again, the missing chiunk is on the inside of the board. So I figure that's because the angle is bigger than 90 degrees and my two 45 degree joints are therefore too small. But my mitre saw only goes to 45 degrees. I can't work out how to cut an angle bighger than that?

Basically, I can't for the life of me work out what angle I need to cut on the first interior board of the bay?

I wish I'd paid more attention to pythagoras theorem when I was at school.

Can anyone help me, or just point me in the direction of of a "How to calculate skirting board angles" HOWTO.

Thanks a lot

Ted

Sponsored Links
My understanding is you are trying to board the two corners of the bay where the bay meets the wall,yes?

If the angle is 110° then the angle on each piece is 110°/2 or 55° which is the same as a tilt of 90°-55°=35°

There's plenty difference type of angle divider out there, cheap one start about £5
MULTIFIX_xl.jpg

Sponsored Links
Use a sliding bevel and transfer the angle directly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back