Working out BTU for old rad.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old rad in a bedroom that is 480wide x 590 single with no fins that I want to swap for a larger one as this has never been enough. I am trying to work out what its BTU/W is now as a base guide to getting something warmer.
As a rough guide I am looking at its surface area and using a stelrad equivalent serface area rad spec to give me the BTU / W of my old one but the only problem is the stelrads have fins -- would this make much difference in the BTU/W.

I cannot just whack a bigger one on with a stat as the pipe work wont allow for a double rad distance from the wall so am stuck with a single panel with fin option.
I can get away with a 500 wide one to replace my 480 wide one as it has a little drain screw cap extra piece on the tail making the whole thing wider so my pipe work should accommodate a new 500wide rad.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can work out heat outputs using makers data.

Typically fins add about 35% to the heat output of a single panel.

Usually you can extend feed pipes outwards to allow a wider radiator.

Thanks but the rad I am replacing is an older one of unknown make.
Its a bedroom rad and hoping to just turn off the bathroom and other bedroom rad upstairs- drain this rad and be able to swap valves. As upstairs and other rads shut both sides there should not be much more than the rad its self to drain ? -- Combi Boiler. Problem is when trying to solder a fitting with water in the pipe- even a few inches lower than the cut end. So don't fancy extending the pipe. A new 500w rad should do but just trying to work out how high I should go.
Those fins add quite a lot then at 35% .
So I recon my 480x580 finless rad to be about 1000 BTU then

If your going to the trouble of fitting a new rad ,why not work out the heat requirement for the room and see what size the rad is for the recommended output?

Sponsored Links

lostinthelight​

That could be the way to do it. But just wanted something hotter but wanted to know how much hotter then the old hotness :)

The old radiator output is irrelevant and doesn't help determine what you need. Just use a radiator calculator and oversize it a bit if you are using a TRV.

The old radiator output is irrelevant and doesn't help determine what you need. Just use a radiator calculator and oversize it a bit if you are using a TRV.

Yes ultimately that is the way to go but I would still like to find out what the old un-finned one was giving out.

Thanks but the rad I am replacing is an older one of unknown make.
Its a bedroom rad and hoping to just turn off the bathroom and other bedroom rad upstairs- drain this rad and be able to swap valves. As upstairs and other rads shut both sides there should not be much more than the rad its self to drain ? -- Combi Boiler. Problem is when trying to solder a fitting with water in the pipe- even a few inches lower than the cut end. So don't fancy extending the pipe. A new 500w rad should do but just trying to work out how high I should go.
Those fins add quite a lot then at 35% .
So I recon my 480x580 finless rad to be about 1000 BTU then.

I have a 45 year old 2134X475mm nonfinned single that I have recorded as 4500BTU so yours might be ~ (480*580)/(2134*475)*4500 or 1235BTU

That was a "60deg" rad so at "50deg" your rad output would be (50/60)^1.3 X 1235 or 974BTU

Last edited:
I have a 45 year old 2134X475mm nonfinned single that I have recorded as 4500BTU so yours might be ~ (480*580)/(2134*475)*4500 or 1235BTU

That was a "60deg" rad so at "50deg" your rad output would be (50/60)^1.3 X 1235 or 974BTU
that is really helpful thank you for doing all the maths.
looking at the specs for a new single convector stelrad 450x600 -which is the nearest size I can find to my original one the figures for that are 1548 BTu.
Based on that size and your estimate of 1235 I recon the addition of fins increases the BTu by 25%

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back