worktop fitting cost.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
firstly thanks to those that helped with the cupboard hanging. All well and done now.

Going to hire a kitchen/worktop fitter and wanted to know the costs so i don't pay over the odds.

I would need 4 cuts excluding for a sink cut out on 665mm laminate board. I may also need the boards trimmed down from 665mm. So that's another 4 cuts. + 1 corner joint. The corner joint is out of square. I'm going to use upstands and splashbacks. They are ikea units so had to go for breakfast bars. I'm in west london if that matters. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
To cut a corner joint you will need a jig ,a router with 1/2 collet ,30mm guide bush, 1/2 straight fluted worktop cutter and a couple of soft jaw clamps, try screwfix or Its for prices If your worktop joint is out of square set your jig out of square,if your a bit iffy about doing these joints practice on some scraps of mdf

Yes Gregers it is possible using a straight edge,router and a block plane - if your a heavy weight chippie. I don't think the OP has the experience. I just wanted to inspire him to have a go. I think you might scare him off.

Sponsored Links
no router needed really,or block plane.
mind you i do use a biscuit jointer.
but in the past just used a sharp saw,combination square.masking tape,pva and color fil.
in my profile i put a couple of pics up there a while ago,after a similar discussion,and there still as good as new 8 years later(the tops not the pics lol)

well i always had a thought of trying it so i did. Bought a router, a jig and 4 63mm bits from toolstation.

I need to cut some straight sections because of a standing cooker. I've attempted 1 edge with scope to take more off- just incase. This side will be covered but I dont want the cooker side of the worktop to end up the same as in the pics. Very minor laminate edge damage - it seems ALOT worse in pictures. It was a new blade but perhaps a poor one ?(Theres a kitchen fitters set in screwfix i may opt for them instead ?) I followed the straight part of the jig slot, topform 700. Or is it a good cut lol

Technique.
I worked from the back of the worktop into the front post. edge and from left to right smoothly pulling on the slot side closest to me. I then went over the whole lot in 1 pass pushing on the other side of the slot - which was just a shaving. I used the router on the maximum setting - 6(28,000 rpm- I have read you should turn it down to 18k rpm ?). Its an ebauer 2100w router from screwfix - £100. Perhaps i didnt move the router fast enough. Thinking of using the jigsaw tip. Cheers

The router
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-e...-230-240v/81664?cm_sp=Tools-_-Routers-_-81664

router speed don't worry about the speed when using a worktop cutter ther only 12.7mm and its all about the peripheral speed, so bigger the diameter the speed of the cutter will be greater so flat out on small dia cutters slow down the bigger cutters you'll have to do that by ear ,when it sounds right it will be right For the cuts start the cuts from the face edge the router goes clockwise from above so keep the offcut to the right of the cutter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back