Worth getting Makita tools alongside my dewalt ones

Was going to use the trimmer/router for hinges and other little bits here and there. Drip line on a sill lol. Maybe just get a corded one. £49. It's just not always possible to plug it in.
In that case take a look at the Katsu from AIM Tools in London. It is such a close copy of the Makita RT0700 that not only the bases are interchangeable, but even the collets and brushes. OK, the fit and finish isn't as good, but at the price it can't be beaten.

As to the DW being more router, well, only just a maybe. As a laminate trimmer and edge tool it is actually a bit on the big (fat, portly) and heavy side and it is very expensive. It's may be worth noting that until the late 1960s 600 watts was pretty much all you got in a portable router - and for many tasks it sufficed or could be made to do the job

On the other hand there may be a battery converter out there in eBay land which allows you to.use DW batteries on a Mak

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
16028512182418585172874653983459.jpg
16028512442243985992437794655338.jpg
Ok. I've decided to buy this -£65. I can still take it back. I just couldn't afford £300 at the moment. I really need cordless but I guess I'll have to make do

In that case take a look at the Katsu from AIM Tools in London. It is such a close copy of the Makita RT0700 that not only the bases are interchangeable, but even the collets and brushes. OK, the fit and finish isn't as good, but at the price it can't be beaten.

As to the DW being more router, well, only just a maybe. As a laminate trimmer and edge tool it is actually a bit on the big (fat, portly) and heavy side and it is very expensive. It's may be worth noting that until the late 1960s 600 watts was pretty much all you got in a portable router - and for many tasks it sufficed or could be made to do the job

On the other hand there may be a battery converter out there in eBay land which allows you to.use DW batteries on a Mak
what meant was the dewalt was probably nearer to the maximum power you can get out off an 18v at 900w and you pay for that through the nose :D
even iff the mak is 750w plus its more than enough power for most tasks its much better value without question but not worth another load off batteries to cart around

Last edited:
The Mak is 600 watts, B-A. For the sort of usage the OP wants from a trimmer it is more than enough. Early on in my routing "career" I bought an Elu MOF96, an originsl light blue one for those old enough to remember them, and it was just 600 watts not to mention single speed. That routet did a lot of work for me.

Sponsored Links
I just couldn't afford £300 at the moment. I really need cordless but I guess I'll have to make do
I can't blame you there. Before making any tool purchase over £100 I always try to justify it in terms of payback time or increased margin.

The Draper model you have there is a bit more expensive than the one from AIM, which comes in at £28.99 with the fixed base. Go for a set with fixed, plunge and tilt bases and it will be £61.99. Surely this makes the Draper look dear

The Katsu cordless, which is a copy of the Makita DRT50 cordless (and uses Makita batteries) is currently £79.99 via Amazon (fixed base only). A quick eBay search for "adaptor makita to dewalt battery" turned up several adaptors which would allow you to use a DW battery on a Makita compatible tool at under £20

No connection with AIM other than being a customer. Bought a 110 volt Katsu a few years back as a spare then had it used on a project where I also had an RT0700. No difference in performance that we could see. Been using a DRT50 for a couple of years now and very happy with it. The only thing I will say about the Katsu cordless is that it probably won't have battery protection circuitry in it (unlike the OEM tool) so you'd just need to check that you weren't overheating the battery when you were using it by checking how hot the battery is from time to time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back