Worth investing in a core bit and new sds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a number of basin/bath/sink and shower wastes to drill through victorian brick walls in the next 6 months or so and was thinking of getting a 52mm core bit as I could put 32mm or 40mm pipe through it.

My current SDS is probably on its last legs and is not the best and was thinking of upgrading anyway to something like the Bosch GBH 2400 2kg SDS Plus Hammer Drill.

Is this drill suitable for using core bits or do I need a proper diamond core drill as to not break my wrists etc..?

Is this a worthy investment?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a GBH2400. Not a bad drill at all. I've used it on 2in TCT cores without any issues, but I wouldn't try going too much larger eith it - bigger cores need a drill with a good clutch

I would personally go for a core drill.
I had a Sparky (about £150), and it was pretty good.
I used it mainly for drilling out boiler flues, and it lasted years, so i can't see it being a problem with smaller diameters.

Have a dewalt 2kg SDS Hammer Drill which I have used to cut up to 110mm holes without problem. [Just needs a bit more patience.]

Sponsored Links
I got a new products E-mail of bosch the other day, and it showed a new sds with a 65mm core bit being used, it has a clutch and 3.2 jules gbh2-28dv.

Have a dewalt 2kg SDS Hammer Drill which I have used to cut up to 110mm holes without problem. [Just needs a bit more patience.]
You're lucky you didn't get a catch. Had you done so it could have been pretty painful, not to mention injurious.

I got a new products E-mail of bosch the other day, and it showed a new sds with a 65mm core bit being used, it has a clutch and 3.2 jules gbh2-28dv.
The GBH2400 can be had for about £60 to £70 less than the GBH2-26DV and will core about 65mm as well. I suspect that they employ the same gearbox and clutch and that 65mm is the limit on 2kg SDS drills because other manufacturers seem to quote similar size limits

Thanks for all the advice.
The big question now is do I buy the core bit and arbor for around £50 ish or do I just get the box of kit in Aldi for £30.
Now I know the Aldi stuff isn't going to be great or last very well but seeing as I will only be drilling a total of about 8 holes is it worth a chance?

Thanks for all the advice.
The big question now is do I buy the core bit and arbor for around £50 ish or do I just get the box of kit in Aldi for £30.
You could always pop over to Paul's opposite Stalybridge railway station and see what he's selling. He used to do some TCT cores which were cheap as chips

JobAndKnock";p="2453560 said:
You're lucky you didn't get a catch. Had you done so it could have been pretty painful, not to mention injurious.

Seems ok the clutch slips if you overdo it.
Did break my little finger drilling a 20mm hole with hss bit once, lovely shade of purple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back