Can I use Energer SDS Drill for 100mm core in brick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of these cheap SDS drills:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb465drh-4-8kg-sds-plus-rotary-hammer-drill-230-240v/63303

It's an Energer ENB465DRH 4.8kg SDS Plus Rotary Hammer Drill 230-240V

It has a clutch and seems relatively low RPM (850rpm no load, 40Nm max torque)

Can I use this to do a 100mm core in sandstone/brick, or should I just hire a diamond core drill for the day? By use this, I mean, without breaking my arm if it sticks? I've only got one hole to do.

If you think I can, what sort of drill bit would you advise I use?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If the bricks/stone are relatively soft then a TCT core will do, but the speed will have to be low and it will take a fair amount of time.
Breaking the drill is far more likely than breaking your arm.

If the bricks/stone are relatively soft then a TCT core will do, but the speed will have to be low and it will take a fair amount of time.
Breaking the drill is far more likely than breaking your arm.

Thanks, in this case should I use the hammer drill or turn it off? It's a single speed drill, so I've no option on RPM.

With a TCT core bit you can use the hammer action, however the blow-out on the far side of the wall will be massive - far better to pilot through with a long, thin bit then core drill from both sides to the middle. I've used a 100mm TCT bit in the past in my 2kg industrial SDS, but it was always a bit iffy to say the least, with there always being the chance of a "catch". When it did, and it did a few times, it really hurt (believe me). For that reason I swapped to using a dry core drill and dry diamond cores a few years back and now have far less problems

Sponsored Links
Thanks JobAndKnock, maybe I'll just hire a drill to get the right finish. I'm in a third floor flat so unfortunately can only come from the inside.

In that case make sure that nobody can walk beneath where you are drilling (barrier or tape off an exclusion zone if possible) because a lump of masonry on the bonce can ruin one's karma

In that case make sure that nobody can walk beneath where you are drilling (barrier or tape off an exclusion zone if possible) because a lump of masonry on the bonce can ruin one's karma

Good advice, I'll make sure I do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back