Diamond core drill bit with SDS drill bouncing off the brick work

Core drill follows the angle you start with regardless of any pilot hole.Thats why it comes with a centring bit .

Sponsored Links
Core drill follows the angle you start with regardless of any pilot hole.Thats why it comes with a centring bit .

I suspect that we might be at cross purposes here.

I am referring to the core bits with a central (blunt) pin/rod that extends beyond the diamond tips. With those, you obviously need to drill a hole the same size as the central pin/rod. If you don't pre-drill the core ain't gonna go anywhere.

Are you referring to the smaller diamond core bits used to go through tiles rather than walls?

Every core bit I used up to 110mm is mounted on stem with 7mm masonry bit which keeps the main bit centred .

Ok. That makes sense now.

So does that mean that you have to use them with the hammer action on?

Sponsored Links
I think we've established that you've drilled the pilot hole through and that's not stopping the main core going in?

My drill is 1300 watts and is a proper core drill (geared to the correct speed) but still struggles with a 127mm core on my hard Accrington bricks. As previously advised, start the cut at a slight angle and even a gentle waggle so it's not trying to cut the entire circle at the same time. If all else fails chain drill round the circle with a small (5mm) bit first.

And watch the drill for overheating - when it starts to get hot pull it out and just run it for a minute so the fan cools the motor.

Before I got the proper drill I managed a few 127mm cores with my 18v DeWalt - but very slow going and ate the batteries (but shows how good modern cordless are). I'd also used an sds (on drill, not hammer setting) but I think the speeds are wrong for diamond cores.

Before I got the proper drill I managed a few 127mm cores with my 18v DeWalt - but very slow going and ate the batteries (but shows how good modern cordless are). I'd also used an sds (on drill, not hammer setting) but I think the speeds are wrong for diamond cores.
You are lucky that you didn't have a snatch - no SDS drill I've ever come across is rated more than about 80mm on the clutch, and many are either less or have no clutch at all. That's more of a safety issue to my mind.

Accrington brick! rather you than me mate:eek:
I have to say that for those we simply get the hole drilling man in - and he uses a water-cooled set-up for engineering grade concrete and engineering brick......

Last edited by a moderator:
Accrington bricks, hmmm, our house is made of them, they are hard as hell, not sure which is harder, Nori's or Staffy blues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back