Worth repairing pressure vessel on Vokera Linea Plus?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll try not to make this too long-winded...

About 18 months ago our boiler (Vokera Linea Plus) developed a problem with pressure in the heating system rising excessively when hot, this would result in the pressure valve releasing water, so when the boiler cooled it was under-pressured and would cut out for safety.

From reading forums like this and talking to a friend in the trade, it seemed that a failed pressure vessel was the cause. Testing the pressure through the car valve on the vessel showed that it was definitely at fault so I ordered a replacement.

The replacement part has now sat in my garage since then!

Basically, my friend was not keen on doing the repair as it is a big job to get round the back of the boiler, and that there was every likelihood that other things would wrong with a boiler of this age (manufacture date seems to be 2000) and quality (he was not a fan of the brand).

So I found a way of making the boiler run as close to normal as possible (basically, when the heating is on, it stays on). In that time nothing else has gone wrong with the boiler although it does lose a little pressure over time with no obvious leaks in the system.

Now, we need to put our house on the market. Would I be wiser to get someone to fit this part and hope that the boiler works correctly afterwards, or should we avoid messing around and pay £3k now for a complete boiler replacement with guarantee?

Sponsored Links
Whilst I don't know about these boilers, I can tell you 3k is a bit steep, more like 1.8k

Better still why not get someone to fit an external expansion vessel?

Just a thought in case you want to save money!

£1.8k hmm boilers only £850.00 including heat pack? add fitting of about £350 = £1200.00 and plumber gets to keep all extra rads!

IMHO i would get it repaired by a corgi professional these are not bad boilers.

Sponsored Links
This is a rare breed storage combi and definately a two man lift to get it off the wall.

Nevertheless it would only take about two hours for those two people. Its easier if a platform can be fitted about 250 mm below the boiler to stand on and lift down to for teh EXV change.

If the homeowner is under 40 (?) and fit and can lift about 40 kG then he could be one of the two together with the boiler engineer.

Tony

OK, so the pressure vessel has now been replaced.

Unfortunately, the pressure within the boiler is still not working right.

With the heating on, the pressure rises (I've seen it at 2.5-3 bar), then gradually drops down to around 1-1.5 bar (or lower sometimes).

I had a little fish around and it seems that water is not flowing freely into the pressure vessel. The flexible pipe itself is not blocked, but I think its union with the boiler is.

Assumption is that the blockage is causing the pressure to rise until a small amount of water can get through, at which point the pressure drops back to normal again.

On the occassions that the pressure dips low, it may be because the blockage is stopping water from returning from the pressure vessel.

Does this sound credible?

Will the blockage break down on its own or will it need professional attention?

This is a rare breed storage combi

no its not. :rolleyes:

its a 32kw 15l/m combi. the plus name comes from its output.

sosidge said:
I had a little fish around and it seems that water is not flowing freely into the pressure vessel. The flexible pipe itself is not blocked, but I think its union with the boiler is.

Assumption is that the blockage is causing the pressure to rise until a small amount of water can get through, at which point the pressure drops back to normal again

depressurise the system and the expansion vessel. remove the pipe and make sure its clear. the manifold end can block too so check that its clear also.

Good call nickso. Exactly what I was going to say

depressurise the system and the expansion vessel. remove the pipe and make sure its clear. the manifold end can block too so check that its clear also.

Did that, pipe is clear so must be the "manifold" as you call it. Any tips on clearing it out? Tried to get a pin in there but couldn't clear anything out.

So whats the Linea Plus storage combi called then?

Tony

Did that, pipe is clear so must be the "manifold" as you call it. Any tips on clearing it out? Tried to get a pin in there but couldn't clear anything out.

i use a small allen key most of the time.

£1.8k hmm boilers only £850.00 including heat pack? add fitting of about £350 = £1200.00 and plumber gets to keep all extra rads!

Heat pack for £850!!?? Am i missing somewhere??

What boiler? let me guess, Sabre??

Would love to know where i can get worcester heat packs fr that money. please let me know!!!

i use a small allen key most of the time.

Tried that with one approx. 1.5mm, had a good scratch around, just could not get the key to go into anything. So either the hole is tiny/obscured or thoroughly blocked.

More bad news this morning - overnight the boiler has tripped the electric mains (twice). It's off now.

Wondering whether the pump is struggling now, perhaps some of that debris from the failed pressure vessel has moved downstream. Water in the boiler was very dirty indeed.

What was a functional (albeit improperly) boiler has turned into a basket case after replacing the known failed part!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back