Would my solution to reduce condensation work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hallo,

condensation in the top corner of an unheated north-facing study where the wall meets the ceiling manifests in mould (cant afford to heat whole house). the study door is always open. Mouldy area in top corner is about 6 inches x 6 inches. There is an airbrick outside but weather so horrible, i shant examine it until end march.

MY PROPOSED SOLUTION: drill some holes in the wall close to where mould is and cover with a grill that can be opened/shut.

would it work or would it make the room colder still and be ineffective?

cheers

karaman

Sponsored Links
it would either let the warm, moist air out, or let the cool, dry air in.

Either will help.

And shut that door, which enables warm moist air to diffuse into the room.

Why does this room have no other means of ventilation, such as a window?

hallo johnd,

of yes there is a window but i live on main road and it would let too much noise in. also, opening is at top and i am so small, i have to stand on something to open/close it. the door needs fixing as the lazy )=*/ who lived here previously couldnt be bothered. the weather now is cold and horrible, i shall wait until end march/april to get on with it.

so if i used the holes, i could manipulate the grill on the wall with a long stick.

a propos, as my holes would be in the corner above the radiator, would not all the warm air escape when the radiator is on? thats not cost-effective. what would you suggest i do to get rid of the moist air?

cheers

karaman

use a radiator shelf, it will encourage the warm air to mix rather than running straight up the wall.

Sponsored Links
Or put a dehumifier in there. It will heat the room a little and keep the humidity as low as you need.

if you use a dehumidifier, you must close the door and window, or it will try to dehumidify the world. Some dehumidifiers have the facility to drain out collected water through a hose, which saves a lot of work.

If you do decide to drill holes to external, please make sure to angle them downwards (to exterior). You don't want to give any rain an easy track in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back