Wrong Date On Start Up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everybody, When I turn on my computer the fan on the tower go's a lot faster and the date showing is 01/01/2009. If I restart, the fan slows down but still shows 01/01/2009, I have to manually reset the date before I can access e Mail, I have tried restore to an earlier time no difference.
The computer is a Packard Bell imedia S3720.
Thanks Alex.

Sponsored Links
Do you know how to change the date in BIOS?

do you mean the date is lost every time you turn it off?
change the CMOS battery. a few pounds in the high street or ebay.
For a tower it is probably a CR2032 but look at the old one when you take it out. Be sure to put the new one in the same way up.

Thanks for that JohnD I am not much of an expert I won't touch the Bios.
The CMOS is that a small battery that keeps the clock time like in my central heating clock? If so I can access the tower turn electric off but leave plugged in to keep the earth connection is that right.
Thank's Alex.

unplug it completely. The power cord probably pulls out from the back of the tower using an American-type 3-pin connector.

You will have to remove the side of the tower. With the front of the tower facing you, it is the left-hand side. Usually you undo three or so small screws from the back, which nip the folded-over back edge of the side panel into place. The side panel then slides backwards an inch or so and then lifts off.

The CMOS battery is about the size of a 10p coin, round and silver-looking. You may be able to pry it out with your thumbnail, or possibly a small screwdriver. It will be wedged into place under a metal clip.

The BIOS is OK to access as long as you only change time and date. You may not need to though. I can't remember if changing time and date in Windows changes the computer time. Probably it does.

edit

like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnCL_91k1l8

Sponsored Links
unplug it completely. The power cord probably pulls out from the back of the tower using an American-type 3-pin connector.

American type? ....

Yes, changing the date in Windows will set it permanently.

You will find the battery towards the lower right hand side of the board, next to the long pink/purple slots. It simply pulls out of the holder. It's a standard CR2032. Don't put the new one in backwards! Positive (flat, marked) contact away from the slots.

Thanks Johnd and Monkeh, fitted new battery it was where monkeh said, a devil to get at longnose pliers did the trick, The computer seems to be running faster or is it because I have repaired It?
Thanks Again Alex.

When you opened the tower did you clean any dust out?
People sometimes think that helps a bit. It doesn't really improve the performance/speed, but it can help reduce the temperature inside especially if you clear out fans/heatsinks.

Thanks for that desig, There was a lot of dust I will take the panel off and clean it, do you use a vacuum cleaner or small brush?
Alex.

I sometimes take off the CPU fan and heatsink and brush them clean over the sink. I suppose you could do it in situ with a small brush, holding the hoover nozzle close enough to suck away dust before it can re-settle.

It is less frightening to dismantle if you have taken a few old ones apart, or assembled the thing yourself, for practice.

I have now fitted an extra, large, fan, with dust filter, to the tower cases, which keeps them cleaner, and the filter comes off for cleaning.

Sponsored Links
Back