Wylen plug-in MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Modifying an old wylen fuse box (wired fuses), to plug-in MCB's. changed 2x 6A and 4x 32A without problems, there is a fuse which it's value is 45A and I can't find a plug-in suitable MCB. Any ideas?

Thanks, Albert

Sponsored Links
I tried to trace the wire but it goes from the garage where the CCU is to the ceiling, under the upstairs floor. For different reasons I can't access the cable from under the upstairs floor. It could be the boiler, immerssion but I'm not sure. In any case if I would like to change it with an equivalent 45A plug-in MCB, which I don't think should be a problem, where can I find one and if you think that it might cause a problem your opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks, Albert

Sponsored Links
Thanks again,
I will have to find the proper moment to isolate this circuit, but till than just for my information, where can I find this kind of MCB Wylen plug-in 45A. The heist rate I found was 40A.

Thanks

Albert, if this circuit does an immersion heater why the hell are you trying to uprate it to a 45A MCB?

The highest rated that circuit should ever be is 20A, but realistically no more that 16A is required.

Also I think you will find that it is WYLEX not Wylen. That may sound picky, but it will be easier to trace if you get the name right :)

Also, what is the fuseboard made from? If it is one with the old wooden back, then you would be wise to replace the entire unit rather than simply replace the BS3036 fuse carriers for Plug in MCB's

I'm not trying to put a heir value MCB, the existing one is 45A, and the owner does not want to change the CCU (minimize the cost), so I thought that this will be the nearest way to a more reliable and simple system. I checked the make and it is Wylen, I found the site but they do not show a higher value than 40A.

thanks, Albert

Well they are a new one on me, I have been in that game over 20 years and have never heard of Wylen, and personally would not touch their stuff with a barge pole for that reason.

Albert, Find out WHAT that fuse controls. Unless you do any work you do could be creating a dangerous situation.

Have you confimed that the fuse wire in the fuse was actually rated at 45A?

As I said, if the circuit only does an Immersion it should not exceed 16A.

If the cable that feeds the circuit is 2.5mmsq then it should not exceed 16A, if it is 4mmsq then it should not exceed 25A and if it is 6mm then it should not exceed 40A MAXIMUM.

Albert, can you provide a link to their website as a web search has produced no sites for electrical accessory manufacturers under that name, and they are also not listed or known to the BSi either as a search of their database found no results.

Thanks for your advice, as I said i'll do some more research, in any case as you advised I am not going to touch a thing (I sent my message before doing something stupid). if I'll find something new I'll go on-line again.

Albert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back