X400 in system with 'most' pipework below rads under subfloor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had to replace / clean cold feed pipework due to a build up of magnetite from header tank through 15mm to 22mm tee.

So, looking at giving the system 4-6 weeks of X400 before flushing then adding X100. However, I’m in a bungalow with all the pipework under a subfloor feeding five rads (except the boiler feed / return, and cold feed which are in the loft).

I’m assuming to clean the under-floor pipework which sits lower than the rads, I will need some form of pressure cleaner, or will the X400 eventually be pumped through. Also, how will the x400 clean the rest of the cold feed pipework?

Sponsored Links
X400 will work everywhere where it circulates ,including pipes lower than rads. It won't do as well on the cold feed ,if indeed it does anything at all.

X400 will work everywhere where it circulates ,including pipes lower than rads. It won't do as well on the cold feed ,if indeed it does anything at all.

My main concern, is how do you drain the water / X400 out of the pipes below the rads.

Wouldn't any X400 residue in those pipes affect the X100 going in afterwards ?

Sponsored Links

"after cleaning the system should be drained and flushed until the water runs clear" so you remove it all (or almost all) then.

Finally adding inhibitor on the last refill of the now clean system.

The document says you can leave x400 in, with no time limit, safely. You really need to be circulating the cleaner at normal operating temperatures for many hours... Not something I'd want to do in the heat of the Summer just now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back