Yacht varnish - bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Not sure whether to post this in flooring or decorating.

I've sanded back and re-stained our bathroom floor, and a friend suggested we cover it with yacht varnish for waterproofing. I went ahead and did the first coat without researching further, and have since come online to get advice about drying time and I'm regretting using it.

I've found some people who caution against inside use because of the fumes, and some who say it can take months to dry and for the smell to diminish. However some people suggest using it for indoor projects.

Does anyone have any experience using yacht varnish on a bathroom floor and how it worked out? How long does it take to dry?

Should I keep going and do the second coat or cut my losses at this point and stop?

Any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Not tried it on a bathroom floor but my dad used it on a kitchen cupboard and regretted it. After being wiped down with damp cloths, worn down by constant use it flaked off and looked like a mangy old dog.
I wouldn't varnish a bathroom floor but someone might have ways and means to make it stick.

It will take about a month to reach its full stable condition.
That doesn't mean it will take a month to dry.
Usually it's dry in 24 hours, and on the side of caution I always wait a further 24 hours before using the floor as normal.
Even water based varnish doesn't cure in the few hours advertised, it takes a week to reach its full potential.
So, carry on, do a second coat and wait 48 hours, then use the bathroom as normal.
I would avoid flooding the floor for a couple of weeks though (if you have kids you know what i mean)

Sponsored Links
Not tried it on a bathroom floor but my dad used it on a kitchen cupboard and regretted it. After being wiped down with damp cloths, worn down by constant use it flaked off and looked like a mangy old dog.
I wouldn't varnish a bathroom floor but someone might have ways and means to make it stick.
To be honest if it looks rubbish in 6 months and I have to try something else I can live with that. My concern was more it just not drying/giving off fumes for weeks on end.

If you can keep the room aired it'll help but make sure you apply the varnish evenly in thin layers to reduce the drying time between coats. Can you use another bathroom while this job's ongoing?

Thanks, we do have another bathroom we can use but it's basically outdoors so fine for another few days but not weeks.

Going to take stock today on how much it's dried in 24 hours and take a call on whether I do a second coat or just leave it, take care with the floor and then take stock in about a month or so of how well it's worked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back