Yellow bleed through white paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed a weird bleed through white paint on stairs.
Spindles and side boards were lightly sanded and painted with Ronseal Ultra Tough white paint.
Soon after yellow marks started to appear.

Some are on the previously varnished arreas, but many are where varnish was very thin or most likely not present at all.
I have removed a 3mm plywood with clover leaf cutouts from the size and yellow staining follow this patern where cutouts were (no staining where area was covered - no sun, no adhesive or maybe no smoke).
I have attached photos of the staining, but I'm wondering what is the best stain blocker to use.
No nonsense didn't seal it. I was thinking about Zinsser but they have several products and the best one dries in seconds which is probably not good for this area.
What would be your advise?
IMG_20200607_122735.jpg IMG_20200607_123742.jpg IMG_20200607_122806.jpg

Sponsored Links
Could be old nicotine stains or resin from the timber, I would go with the Zinsser product, BIN might be slightly better than Bullseye 123 as a stain blocker, but as you say very fast drying OK on a small patch but not for large areas unless a special problem (like the B&Q / Valspar paint that smelt of cats pee!). 123 is a bit more forgiving to work with and is less prone to "flash". 123 can be re-coated in about an hour so I would go with that, maybe two coats on the bad areas.

Thanks for that.
It looks like the bullseye 123 is water based and for nicotine it would have to be"upgraded" to the bullseye 123 plus.
Have you had any experience with this product?
https://www.zinsseruk.com/product/cover-stain/
It's oil based but I'm not sure how it relates to 123 and BIN (I will call Zinsser tomorrow ask)

Not used Cover Stain myself but have heard lots of good reports about it, if they are working Zinsser are certainly the ones to speak to.
I have used 123 on most stains only really had it fail on large bleeding knots and rust.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. I will check with the manufacturer what's the difference and will post here

Following discussion with Zinsser I was told that BIN is the ultimate stain blocker and should be used, but they acknowledge the issue with drying and remedy it, the 123 Bullseye Plus was suggested.
The StainCover is not suitable for wood stains and dyes and will bleed through.

I was also considering Ronseal Knot Block Primer, but following a discussion with their technical team I was advised against, due to unknown source or staining and potential that it's coming from a wood dye or cigarette stain. What I was told is to create a barrier, so to varnish spindles and sideboards to prevent further penetration of the colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back