Yet another 'Alpha CB28 not working correctly' conundrum.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've been trolling the forum most of the afternoon but can't find an answer to my problem..........so..........here goes.
My CB28 stopped providing hot water late last night, leaving both neon indicators flashing, which, according to my manual, indicates a blocked flue or fan fault.
I reset many times, all to no avail.
I tried today & got the boiler working for about 20 minutes before it gave up again. I had the front off & noticed that the burner is not igniting although I can hear an 'electrical' click every time I reset the boiler.
I'd like to know how to unblock a flu & where is the fan?
Is this DIY at all................or is it DIY not?

Many thanks in advance,

Slime.[/b]

Sponsored Links
stooooop!!!!!

do yourself a favour and turn it off.

call someone qualified BEFORE you turn it back on.

Sponsored Links
At this stage nothing.

But if you have opened the boiler and can't identify the fan; the chances of you putting the case back on such that nasties from the burner can't escape SHOULD it decide to fire are as slim as your chances of fixing the boiler yourself.

Turn it off and get a qualified chap in. There is a fair chance the repair isn't going to be cripplingly expensive.

At this point in time I've only taken the front cover off & lowered the control panel.
I've not removed the large silver body of the thing.
The flue looks fairly simple to remove though.................is it?

Thanks again,

Slime.

Flaming Nora.

You are most definitely in the camp "if you have to ask - you can't do it".

We can not give you advice on this kind of fault. Not only is it a breach of forum rules, it is also patently obvious you have no idea what you are doing.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is the truth.

Like we have said, leave it.

We've got nothing to gain by telling you to get someone in. The combustion cover (death box) on that is easy to get wrong if you aren't aware, seen it wrong plenty of times.

The flue (death tube) is something you do not want to mess with at all.

It wont be hundreds to put the boiler right.

Stay safe :)

Message received loud & clear......................and understood.
Someone's coming to look at it this morning.
It's 8½ years old so I'm expecting it to be condemned.
Will report back.

Genuine thanks,

Slime.

I doubt if it will be condemmed it is one of two things and an easy fix shouldnt be too expensive the Alpha CB is a decent enough boiler unless you are in a hard water area where you will get problems with the diverter valve but as its 8 years old and you havent had any problems Im guessing you have soft water

Virtually all boilers under 10 years old will be totally repairable.

Should be about £100-£200 depending on exactly what is causing the problem.

Tony

I think it's probably the PCB as there is no power going to the fan.
PCB's are quite dear so I've gone for the Alpha deal of fixing it whatever the problem for £255 inc VAT & labour, which I thought was reasonable.
I've noticed a couple of leaks too, so hopefully they'll be taken care of at the same time,
I'll let you know,

Slime.

Yup......PCB was the problem.
Guy said that's not unusual for an 8 year old PCB.
He also sorted out a couple of small leaks too!
As a PCB local to me is around £200 I think I/you chose the right option.
Get a qualified fitter to fix ANYTHING that is not TOTALLY straight forward.
And the plumber was first class, knowledgable, very polite & cheerful.
Thanks to all of you for your advice,
all the best,

Slime.

:D

Pleased to hear its sorted and you're happy. Sounds like you gave the engineer biscuits as well as coffee if he did more than just the single fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back