Yet another heating problem

TC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I don't get some help soon, my wife may go find another man with hot water...

Since I turned off the water to remove a bath and sink, we haven't been able to get any hot water from our taps.

The system is heated by a boiler which does both the central heating and the taps. The central heating is working, but the taps, er, not. I've tried bleeding the rads, but one or two of them just let out a slight sigh and refuse to produce any more air or water, and remain hot half way up (the others are fine). Meanwhile, back at the hot water storage tank, it's stone cold, as are all pipes leading to and from it. I can't find anywhere to bleed the system anywhere near the tank. I've tried running all the hot taps, but they just seem to be drawing water straight down from the cold water storage tank in the loft. Our plumber can't get here for another week, it's freezing cold, and we're getting smelly. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
yes would your wife like to come and live with me, i have loads of hot water it comes on when you turn on the tap. :LOL:

i am not a plumber or heating engineer

Seriously. It sounds like you have an air lock in your cylinder. to resolve this get a piece of hose fix it to the cold tap, and put the other end on the hot tap. ( short hose) Turn the hot tap on then the cold tap.
This will back fill your system forcing out any air.

I have never done this before , it does work, my only reservation is i do not know how long you should keep the taps on for. but not for too long as your loft tank will fill and over flow

Thanks Breezer. Wife tempted, but have been given stay of execution until tomorrow (nowhere to get any tubing from at this time). Will let you know what happens...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back