yet another loft insulation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lo,

I'm planning on insulating my loft. It has some insulation
from when it was built circa 1968. The loft is used for storage
and has a central heating/hot water boiler and header tank, along with all the pipes and a hot water header tank.
As I'm worried about burst pipes, I thought I'd insulate the roof as well as the floor.
Having researched, it seems that I have to have 50mm clearance between the insulation and the roof tiles, for ventilation.
The rafters and joists are 3x2.
There is plastic sheet under the tiles, but I doubt that it is
permeable.
I have vents in my eaves, but not in the ridge.
My plan is: (open to change...)
1) Seal up all holes into the loft using some expanding foam.
2) lay kingspan 150mm TP10 across the rafters, giving me 3 inch of
ventilation.
3) lay some wool stuff from b&q on the floor, possibly laying a second
layer at 90degs to the first.

From what I can tell, the rafter insulation has to come down and butt against the floor insulation, the floor insulation stops above the outer walls
and doesn't extend into the eaves.

What I am unsure about is what happens at the ridge. There would be no air flow from one eave to another. It seems my options are:

1) Don't seal the insulation at the ridge. (which seems the most stupid)
2) seal at the ridge and that'll do
3) seal at the ridge and drill holes through the plank that is in the way of air flow
4) fit ventilated ridge tiles
5) Cut sections of the current sarking away and put some vapour membrane between the tiles and current sarking. Done from in the loft.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back